Author Topic: Enderle fuel pumps  (Read 3922 times)

Offline 32bantam

• View Profile
    • SS3 Race Team
  • Your Best Time: 6.87 at BG 2013 aiming for 7.0
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: 32 Bantam altered
Enderle fuel pumps
« on: October 04, 2017, 07:02:38 AM »
Hi Spud !!!!!
My present fuel pump is a Enderle 110 vane style. 12.4 gpm
I have a Enderle SG810 (110 equivalent) 13gpm spur gear style that I would like to run on the race car.
I know I have to account for the larger GPM in the tune up.....my questions are:
Does the gear pump move fuel at a different rate thru out the rpm range...do I need to worry about that? and the pressures that may come along with that?
Does the gear pump "suck" better......maybe less susceptible to the air bubble when hitting the chutes?
Thoughts on each ?
Thanks again for all you do !!!
Steve

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:04:58 AM by 32bantam »
Steve Walczak

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: Enderle fuel pumps
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »

Hi Steve,

I've not tested the new Enderle spur gear against the old style (called a "tuthill") Enderle...only a Waterman spur gear against a conventional Enderle for a customer a while back. Should be pretty much the same thing however.

In the tests of A/Fuel legal pumps of both types, the Enderle made more flow down low. Overlaying the results, the engine got more fuel down for the first part of the track, they were the same at 8000 RPM (where they are rated) and then the gear pump stayed straight and level while the conventional pump rounded off and flattened out a bit on flow as pressure increased beyond 100 PSI.

I don't think you'll have to worry too much about the differences in a methanol situation. In a nitro deal, having more fuel at the bottom could be an advantage when under rules like A/Fuel is. And that's exactly why the customer sent the two pumps!

The spur gear pumps have support (bearings) on both sides of the gear while the conventional only on one side. That's why conventional tuthill style pumps can't take pressures over 150 PSI or so for sustained periods. The spur gears pumps have no problem with 300+ PSI. Pressure isn't everything however.

Pressure achieved is always a function of fuel volume provided for a given set of nozzles, so if pump output were the same at a given point, then you'd see no difference in fuel delivery between the pumps.

As far as suction and picking up, I honestly think the conventional style might be better at that but I have not tested that. Just a hunch.

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline 32bantam

• View Profile
    • SS3 Race Team
  • Your Best Time: 6.87 at BG 2013 aiming for 7.0
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: 32 Bantam altered
Re: Enderle fuel pumps
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 01:03:29 PM »
Thanks Spud........I was going to try it but I'm missing the correct inlet fitting......
So now I think I will just send both of the pumps to you after I get back to Havasu.
Steve Walczak