Author Topic: MAGNIFICENT 7 AA/FUEL ALTERED  (Read 5083 times)

Offline nostalgic371

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: tbd
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: socal
MAGNIFICENT 7 AA/FUEL ALTERED
« on: September 29, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »
This has been posted elsewhere, but since I'm a member here, I thought I would share it. I do fabrication for a living, it's one of the projects I've been building for a customer.

MAGNIFICENT 7 AA/FUEL ALTERED TO BE RE-CREATED

The 1968 vintage S & R race cars built - Hawkins and Chadderton "Magnificent 7" fuel altered - is currently being re-created in Southern California in Leroy Chadderton's hometown of Redlands Ca. Skip Davis of Precision Marine, also in Redlands, is the owner/financier, engine builder, and machinist. Bill Gathings of Yucaipa Ca is doing the chassis and running gear fabrication to a precise scale of the famous original. Original owner Al Hawkins has given his blessing on the re-creation, and is providing technical advice and many unpublished photos from his collection. Surviving members among original crewmen Chuck Ogawa, Tom Scull, Steve Sheraton, alternate drivers Tom Ferraro, Mike Sullivan and Dan Geiger are being consulted for details as well. Chadderton raced the legendary Magnificent 7 on all three "California Fuel Altered" tours promoted across the U.S. with the well known "Winged Express", "Pure Heaven", and a rotation of cars filling the 4th spot. Look for updates as this project nears completion.

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
Re: MAGNIFICENT 7 AA/FUEL ALTERED
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 10:42:15 AM »
Awesome car - wonderful project.

Will it be a
static display?
cacklefest?
exhibition pass?
or
make competition runs?

With reproduction era standards I think probably not to be used in competition, no?

Offline nostalgic371

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 11:33:52 AM »
It will be a cacklefest car, but I have been using tube diameters and wall thickness that are in line with SFI spec, but no double hoop cage. Some cackle cars have been allowed to do a burnout. My goal is to have it look like it could be driven right in to the photograph.

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 07:47:42 PM »
"My goal is to have it look like it could be driven right in to the photograph."

I like that. Good luck with your project.

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 07:32:13 AM »
Very cool project, keep us posted on it's progress:)

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 07:23:18 PM »
I was at the Nitro Revival yesterday and this project will fit in very well with the program.

Offline nostalgic371

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »
I was at the Nitro Revival as well, the car I'm re-creating is best know for being in all of the 4-car "California Fuel Altered" tours that were promoted across the U.S. in '68,'70, and '71. The "Magnificent 7", the well known "Winged Express, and "Pure Heaven" were in all 3, and a rotation of cars filled the 4th spot, including "Mondello-Matsubaru", "Beaver Hunter", "Bradford's", and"Rat Trap".  According to an extensive story by Chris Martin published in the 7/5/85 National Dragster, the Mag 7 fueler won the majority of the match-ups. All of the other cars exist today in either restored original form or an active modern version, this is the missing AA/FA of the group, until now.