Author Topic: high speed to lean  (Read 4008 times)

Offline skydvrbob

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.45 motorcycle 1/4mile Fremont,,CA
  • Your Engine: not enough HP
  • Your Track: farmington
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: thomasville,NC
high speed to lean
« on: September 28, 2017, 05:15:06 AM »
I ran the car the other day and it worked great down low but leaned out and nosed over on top. Is there a simple way to keep it lean coming out then richen it up on top. Hilborn stack with only an idle bypass. No high speed.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
Re: high speed to lean
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 05:52:21 AM »
The easiest way is to not run the high-speed get a good tune up that makes the car run the quickest you can get it to run. If at that point you decide to run a high speed fatten it up a 10 spot then go make a pass with the high speed. I wouldn’t run a high speed without a flowed fuel system telling me what pressure to have it crack with a given main pill.

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 08:19:01 AM »
skydvrbob - if you have inline fuel filter, might first check to see if it’s completely clear, due to your leaning out on top end.  If filter is clear, next check your fuel tank, shutoff, all lines, connections, nozzles, etc. to verify they are all 100 percent clear and working proper.  If all okay, then what Paul wrote.  1st things 1st, send your pump to FIE and have it checked/flowed for $70.  If pump okay, next look at your metering valve.  If all okay, your engine might have issues.  Alan

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »
I always think of my high speed vslve as nothing but a fuel pressure regulator, if you set at 100 lbs to open, then that's your fuel pressure from then on especially if you have no jet in the high speed, like Don Enrquez and Gene Adams run. I used to have an adjustable valve and gauge hooked up to our compressor in the trailer to check pressure. Once I started running over 100# which exceded our compressor we now just check the RacePak and adjust the shims in the HS. BTW I have a .080 jet in the HS instead of opening to the return line, so my fuel pressure more follows the RPM curve.
The idea of low pressure injection is the tune-up is less affected by changing weather conditions. at one point Bob McKray/ Don Enrquez were running 49 lb fuel pressure which of course the valve opened at the hit and stayed around 49# for the whole run.
The high pressure idea is it help adomize the fuel better, but I change the pressure almost every run depending on weather changes.
Have Fun,
Jon 
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 11:16:43 AM »
With a blown car, we definately use our "high speed" differently.  I use mine as a launch enrichment.  When mine comes off the torque converter and starts to climb RPM, the lean out opens (tuned with spring pressure).  At the shift, it goes back on the converter for a second and the lean out is once again closed.  WHen it finds the opening pressure again, it sounds/feels like it shifts again.
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 11:38:13 AM »
YUP, that's why my fuel system/tune-up follows my RPM curve.
Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 01:03:52 PM »
Bob will not brag but he is leaving out the part where he was running mid 5's in 1/8th and on the run he is talking about popped out a 4.97 all thanks to getting a nitro tune to gain him that much in  a few weeks--he is doing way more than creeping up on it LOL!  way to go Bob
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 01:28:33 PM »
I use to have 2 valves(air).One opened in 2nd and leaned car down.2nd one shut off a bypass that was big ger than the leanout which actually richened the system over the base system could so similar by having closing off a bypass. I bought solenoid from Gorr .
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot