Author Topic: 2-step  (Read 10011 times)

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
2-step
« on: September 24, 2017, 10:28:29 AM »
what advantage does a 2-step provide?  my thought is none.

Offline Croozerman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.80
  • Your Engine: 272 SBC, Gas, C Dragster
  • Your Track: Miami-Hollywood 1965 - 1969, Brainard Drag Strip
  • Your Vehicle: Home made C Gas Dragster 1965 - 1969
  • General Location: East
Re: 2-step
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 10:39:58 AM »
What the heck is a 2 step?  It used to be a pretty popular down here in the South.
It is easy to teach an old dog new tricks but is very hard to make him like them.

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 01:05:23 PM »
What the heck is a 2 step?  It used to be a pretty popular down here in the South.

one step less then the curly shuffle  ;D

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 01:16:41 PM »
A 2-step gives an advantage to a no talent driver that cant control his(or her)starting line RPM

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 03:38:03 PM »
Because it isn't something you choose bruce, you have to insult others?  Nice.

Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 05:34:46 PM »
Hey Bruce, it was nice talking to you and your wife at Don Longs last night.
I meant to ask you, I know you have been Dave's partner, but have you ever driven a dragster ?

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 06:00:05 PM »
A 2-step gives an advantage to a no talent driver that cant control his(or her)starting line RPM

A two step is an ignition box that allows you to set two different max RPMs. The first is triggered by a 12 volt input usually from the trans brake button. This allows you to put the foot to the floor while on the trans brake and get a specific launch RPM. The second max RPM is considered a safety RPM and will not allow the engine to over rev if it was to lose it's load.

I use a two step. it is allowed by the rules that I race under. I race to win, and will use every advantage I can allowed by the rules.

I believe I have some talent, was first in my series up until this last race and now am second.

No need to insult people that have a different opinion than yours.

There are not may “Rules” that I would impose. However please no cussing, cussing just shows a lack of knowledge in the use of the English Language. You can express your feelings without cussing. Be respectful of other members. Everyone has a right to their opinions, and a right to do it differently than you might. No camping on. Think about making your userID something meaningfully or representative of what you stand for.

If this is a problem there is always HRE which loves to insult people and the reason this forum was started.

Glenn
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 06:04:29 PM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 06:27:13 PM »
Hey Bruce, it was nice talking to you and your wife at Don Longs last night.
I meant to ask you, I know you have been Dave's partner, but have you ever driven a dragster ?

Jon

I have only tried it once, but that does not mean I don't know how. Dave and I vary in size and not worth the expense to outfit myself for a very limited amount of seat time. I prefer the roll as designer, builder and tuner

Offline nostalgic371

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: tbd
  • General Location: socal
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 07:01:10 PM »
I like it here, there is a lot of respect for most every opinion, there are a lot of different ways to get a car down the track, get it done and even win occasionally, and that diversity makes it that much more interesting. I was on the other site too, It got to where I didn't want to post at all.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 07:28:19 PM »
As stated its nothing more than away to control stage rpm. I am not a fan. Especially with MFi. Dropping cylinder with BV wideopen is just not good combination IMO. I know two pro mod style motors that have broken mains  while running 2 step with blower.

If allowed a starting line enhancer is better way IMO.Since I intend to run brackets I will have SLE on my car.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:24:36 AM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 08:21:04 PM »
Opinions are like the noses on our faces; we all have one and they’re all a little different. I’m one of those “no talent drivers that can’t control his (or her) starting line RPM” as mentioned earlier in the thread because I have a 2-step on my car. And I’m pretty proud of it too. Now I pay my entry fees to help support my local tracks, spend my dollars to buy all sorts of racing parts and services from folks in the industry including some right here on this site, and lend a hand or express a thought when it might be helpful to someone else. It takes all kinds of drivers, owners, and crews to make this sport a viable success that we all can continue to enjoy but at the end of the day the only factor that should determine the level of a driver’s talent is the win light. Just sayin'...

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 11:10:56 PM »
dreracecar has a “drag racing” wry sense of humor.  Having read his postings for years now, he often includes his wit with his excellent advice.  When reading a written post in a forum, as compared to having a conversation in the pits amongst friends, actual translation could be lost.  I’m guessing this is case here…

For example, four friends in the pits:  1st racer “Glenn just made Number 1 qualifier and had three .001 rts and hit the dial each time”  2nd racer “that takes no talent, he has a 2-step”  3rd racer “ I have a 2-step and qualified 16th”  4th racer “ you really have no talent.” 

All kidding aside, another way to view is dreracecar is very comfortable posting wry humor here, he must consider us racing friends.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 09:43:52 AM »
If you run a car like Bruce dose with a blower and leave at idle then a 2 step is most likely not needed . A car like mine that is injected can benefit from a 2 step on a pro tree ! I can select what ever rpm I want to launch at ! Now could I run my car without a a 2 step of course I could but why should I when the classes that I run sat it's ok ! A lot of Drag racers have this fear of any thing that is electronic when all they really are is just a tool for your race car !

dreracecar

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 10:48:22 AM »
Denver--- Yes and No   Thanx
 Glen had sent a PM about my additude, and if you dont see me on here its because what I sent back was my third strike, so here it is
  As in your post, you acused me of cussing, Went back to look at it and could not find my use of any foul language. I stand with my statement,  I dont believe that "everybody gets a trophy" mindset, You have drivers that work hard to develop a skill and then you have those that buy into driver enhancements which allows them compete on the same level without the hard work involved and by that the incentive to become better is gone since its being done for you automaticly the same everytime. 2 steps,cross over boxes, delay boxes, auto launch, throttle stops, GPS, wheel counters, timing control/grids has turned drag racing into expensive personal accelerators.
 I like Basketball, but dont have the skill to compete, should I request the powers to be to lower the net and increase the hoop dia to 36" so a no-talent player like myself can compete as others do that did work for their success?

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 03:21:46 PM »
I agree that not every one gets a trophy but the way that I see drag racing today and yesterday is and has always been that the racers that work the hardest are the ones that win the most ! I do see a few racers come into this sport with more money than brains and they buy the best of the best but still can't win . I don't get too excited over any one using electronic stuff like I said it's just a tool ! I have always said that if you are good with it you will be just as good with out it ! When I work at a divisional race I always say to my self out of the 4 or 500 of you racing here only 8 of you are going home happy ! Bruce i'me not too good at basket ball either !