Author Topic: log books  (Read 4237 times)

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
log books
« on: September 10, 2017, 05:14:38 PM »
i have never kept a log book running my old car.  but, i read in ITA where guys can state how many runs they have on parts etc.  aside from that, what would you keep track of?   i intend to log basic items such as d/s, rpm, wheelie bar, boost, oil psi/temp, trans temp/psi etc.   mostly for fun of it and i got 50 channels and sensors are cheap lol ..   track temp, air temp, DA, tire psi,?  what car vitals, etc.

ty
dean

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
Re: log books
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 06:46:41 PM »
Well, this what I enter into my run sheets, so I can refer to the track, weather conditions, tire pressure, track temp, amd of course tune-up and keeping track of runs on rods, bearings; Date, track, engine [ I have two or three] , fuel pressure,[ at shift & finish line] fuel flow, timing, hi-speed setings, [ I measure the shim pack & jet size] , drive shaft speed,& ET of highest rpm, Max "G"s, shift point and ET of the shift pt, EGT'S at shift and finish, engine temp at start line and on return road, oil pressure, vacuum, [shift and finish] , flash rpm right after shift [ true stall speed] finish line rpm, tire temps on the return from burn-out, and at the turn-out road [ finish line], if high temp = too much tire spin, front ballast, and total car weight, tire and wheel width.
weather info ; air temp, humity, bar pressure, DA, ADR, dew point, grains of water, and of course all info from ET slip.
The reason for all this recording is when we go back to that track, I'll know what worked best for that track and conditions. I look at the DA [density alt] 1'st to see what I want to do with the jetting/ hi-speed setting. Track temps and condition for tire pressures, and maybe launch rpm. It helped allot when we raced in Salt Lake City , track alt is 4400 feet, and DA runs 6500' to 7000'.
I keep track of the Flash rpm because if the rpm is higher, I'm making more power, ie we went in the right direction, on the combo.
And I still enter this info on my RacePak, along with any notes on what happened on each run.  IT's a good back-up.
Good luck and go Fast,
Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 07:41:03 PM »
We track DA, water grains, baro pressure, temp.  Then we track RT, shift RPM, main, blower%, rear tire pressure, launch RPM, and any notes about how i drove the finish line.  It's really nice to be able to go back and look at previous runs for weather/conditions.  Our first shot of the weekend is usually within .02 of the index.  I keep a second spread sheet for run count.  Rods, Crank, tires, rear end gear, blower belt, plugs, oil.
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 09:10:31 PM »
So you can fill out your tech card, all SFI numbers and dates

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 09:45:15 AM »
Bruce brings up a good point.  Document all your SFI numbers, either in a log book or on a spreadsheet.  Sure makes filling out tech cards easier. :)  Tech guys like to see organization too.

Here's a copy of mine for an example.  I print out a handful every year and keep them in my clipboard.  I hand my tech card and a copy of this to the tech guy. Most of the time they hand them back, some keep it.  not sure why.
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 03:46:29 PM »
All good advice as we do the same.  But keep in mind tf you make a change to the engine or something else for that matter, it may throw all that old information off.

I keep a spreadsheet on our competition base upon or time slips to see if there there is a pattern or not on their performance (don't worry Greg I don't have any data on you, yet).

Anything that you deem important to write down should be done. Even if you go back later to fill in the blanks. Remember, more information in better than less information.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 06:38:53 AM »
Bruce brings up a good point.  Document all your SFI numbers, either in a log book or on a spreadsheet.  Sure makes filling out tech cards easier. :)  Tech guys like to see organization too.

Here's a copy of mine for an example.  I print out a handful every year and keep them in my clipboard.  I hand my tech card and a copy of this to the tech guy. Most of the time they hand them back, some keep it.  not sure why.

Steve suggested I do this a long time ago. It is great to have on hand at inspection. NHRA inspectors have generally not wanted the sheet from me, but ask questions which I can look up on the sheet.

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/