Author Topic: How many bracket racers on here with a FED?  (Read 12319 times)

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
How many bracket racers on here with a FED?
« on: February 28, 2013, 06:08:37 PM »
What car do you race and what kinda success  have you had :) I have raced just about everything in brackets with some pretty fair luck even won a track championship but this will be my new career in a FED (May be a short career ) :-\

Randy!

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: How many bracket racers on here with a FED?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 07:23:30 PM »
I started out with this Firebird

took the engine out it and rebuilt it several times and is now in the dragster which I also ET race with.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 01:10:27 AM »
I have been bracket racing a back halved 1967 LeMans for many years.  Took a long time to get that car consistant.  Its a boat.  It ran 10 teens and was a blast to drive but I fell in love with FED's.  So I made the switch to a 180" FED.  Looking forward to starting over with getting the consistancy down.  Its in the finishing stages and I am getting the itch.  Cant wait for the snow to go!
Brian

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 02:33:18 AM »
Brian are you going to run the same engine as the tempest? Should be fast. I bracket  race mine and it's a lot of fun . We also run Top Dragster wich is just fast bracket racing . good luck!

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 06:43:27 AM »
I bracket raced a vintage fed and red.  Not top eliminator like Blind Mule..... if that happened, I would have retired that day : )
I seem to always break out, but if you going to lose, that helps the pain a little bit.  DF   

Offline racersdad04

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 05:13:45 AM »
I want to.  I have been window shopping some, looking at a new chassis and some older chassis.  I can't do it this year but am hoping money will be there next year to start on a budget built.  Thinking to start running a small block maybe like a 388 crate motor, until money allows for a better engine. 

Ben

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 05:53:27 PM »
I want to.  I have been window shopping some, looking at a new chassis and some older chassis.  I can't do it this year but am hoping money will be there next year to start on a budget built.  Thinking to start running a small block maybe like a 388 crate motor, until money allows for a better engine. 

Ben

Beware, on the chassis. Best to buy something with a current certification. Take it from me, I bought one several years ago and well--- took 1 1/2 years to rebuild the chassis, engine and transmission. Had I known it wouldn't pass I would have left it in Ozark MO. I now own the SFI spec. book for our build.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 08:52:22 PM »

Ben

Beware, on the chassis. Best to buy something with a current certification. Take it from me, I bought one several years ago and well--- took 1 1/2 years to rebuild the chassis, engine and transmission. Had I known it wouldn't pass I would have left it in Ozark MO. I now own the SFI spec. book for our build.

Sounds like good advice.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline racersdad04

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 01:44:53 AM »
Thanks for that information.  I've seen a couple of used and that was a major worry. 
Ben

Offline longm1958

• Couldn't have done anything without my wife,Becca
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: still building so nothing to report
  • Your Engine: Injected 410" SBF on alky
  • Your Track: Silver Dollar when car is complete
  • Your Vehicle: -----
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 07:21:24 AM »
I was told when I got my FED chassis that it was a 69' model. I worried then if it would certify. It only had to have kidney bars added to certify. I was actually trying to get a nostalgia funnycar when I traded for my FED. Found the funnycars to be really high priced and  uncertifiable. Took the FED and away we go.
As stated before, be careful as others will dump their problem child on you. Look for the cert when shopping.
Mike L in Ga.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »
I bought a car in 2009 that had a 2003 NHRA tag. I was told the spec . had changed in 1999 and the chassis wouldn't certify to anything. The shoulder hoop was 1 3/8" and .044 wall. All good now 1 1/2 and .095 with correct SFI 6.00et cert.