Author Topic: 1974 Chapparal trailer  (Read 11103 times)

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.70 1/8
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsport park
  • Your Vehicle: 225" slip joint FED
  • General Location: Houston
1974 Chapparal trailer
« on: August 22, 2017, 05:04:17 AM »
Anybody know anything about these?  Good purchase? How big a tech does towing require? I'm kinda looking at a 35 ft pouch side.  Abby insight?

dreracecar

Re: 1974 Chapparal trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:48:45 AM »
All depends on what the seller wants for it and its current condition. They are TANKS, but at the time a 454 CC dually was enough as long as you upgraded the oil, trans,water coolers/radiators. Current trucks as produced now a days, would not be a problem.  Highly sought after trailers

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 09:28:44 AM »
I would trade my 20 year old United for a 40 year old Chaparral in a heartbeat.

Like Bruce said, they are heavy, but they don't ever wear out it seems. 

Obviously you'll pull brakes/bearings and check everything (more for peace of mind) if you do end up with it.
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline H.G. Wells

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Mild 383 SBC or 498 blown BBC
  • Your Track: Currently San Antonio, past Amarillo, Ardmore OK, Noble OK
  • Your Vehicle: late 60's FED of unknown origin
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 06:34:37 PM »
As the others said, good ones are great. Watch for rust and they are very heavy. I almost traded for one, it had some add ons like shower and basic LQ and weighted around 9k empty. This was 40 or 42ft.
Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 08:11:16 PM »
Thanks allot for the information y'all.  So the details on my situation/status. The gentleman is asking 6500 for the chapparal its 35ft total 28ft box the rest is the goose. 
But,  one problem I'm looking at is its located 1800 miles from my home, so it will cost roughly a 1000 dollars in fuel to go get it. There's some options there because my parents are much closer so I'm not incredibly worried about the drive as far as time and money.  I could see my folks and two birds 1 stone I guess.
2nd issue is my truck is a '91 Ford f350 cc 460cid gasoline but it's single wheel rear axle. I load 2 door cars in the current trailer but current trailer is 24ft and its just 2 feet too short. Cars fit but it's a pain. But truck pulls it fine but it's a 24ft hallmark bumper pull. 

Essentially I'm on the fence on passing on the trailer, simply because of the truck capabilities.  But I'm kinda tied.
Any ideas given my limitations?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:17:57 PM by tcoupekyle »

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 09:24:27 PM »
Flat tow ? Or any grades? Just make sure all brakes on both truck an trailer work properly

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 09:35:01 PM »
Dre. I'd say the roads I travel on 98 percent of the time are pretty flat.  I've conquered the ship channel bridges easily with this ol girl but it's nothing like the long hills and mountains of California. 

Offline skydvrbob

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.45 motorcycle 1/4mile Fremont,,CA
  • Your Engine: not enough HP
  • Your Track: farmington
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: thomasville,NC
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 10:24:14 AM »
I  currently have a 42 ' chaparral. Sold a 40' a couple of years ago. The axles and hubs are out of date. If one fails buy another complete axle assembly.  Can be rusty on the bottom of the pouches. That's where the water collects. The standard ball for these trailers was 3" see if it has been changed.  double check that your truck will have enough clearance over the back of the bed. As trucks have gotten newer the bed depths have gotten deeper. Keep a spare spring with you. Yes they are heavy, but they are still in use. Not like a lot of them made today. PM me for other questions.

Offline Bentwings

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: None
  • Your Engine: 392 Chrysler, 426 Chrysler, sbc
  • Your Track: None
  • Your Vehicle: 41Willys blown sbc streetrod
  • General Location: Midwest
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 02:33:20 AM »
I had a 34 foot for a number of years but sold it Nov last year.  Loaded with most of my tools. It was a good deal for the new owner as he didn't have much in the line of tools. I got more for my tools than I ever would have otherwise.

I bought the trailer restored. It had new boxes and stainless doors.  The back door had garage door booster spring so it was easier to operate.  Mine was about a 74 vintage. Ex funnycar trailer. These were 8' wide so be aware of the door width and fender well clearance.  As noted newer trucks have deeper beds and are much higher.  It's possible to add an adjustable hitch with 2 1/2, ball. More standard. Mine had the clam shell hitch. It worked great but was tough to back into as I couldn't see it. I used a magnetic antenna thing with a tennis ball on it. HF item. 

The trailer was heavy, right at 6000 empty.  With my Willys streetrod and tools it weighed 9700 the last time I traveled with it.  I have a '99 Dodge Dually diesel with 5 spd manual. It pulled this trailer very well mpg was around 15-17 flat roads. Minus a couple in the mountains. 

As noted the axels are pretty primitive by today's standard. I work part time in a custom trailer shop. We used to build a similar trailer back in the day.  I'd replace them with more up to date ones.  If you use a spring type, carry a spare spring and equipment to change it. Mine had a hydraulic landing gear Jack that could lift the truck and trailer together.  If your trailer has one do not run the motor longer than necessary to raise the trailer. These will quickly drain the battery.

Be sure you have an operating breakaway system and larger SAFTEY chains.  Check your state regulations and FED DOT.  They do stop you for about anything. Generally if the trailer is under 10k loaded and titled you are ok.  Towing these with single rear wheel is very questionable.  Be sure your truck and trailer tires can carry the weight.  If you are over weight you can be parked until you get someone with acceptable capacity to move it. 

What ever you do do not advertise anything on your truck or trailer unless you have a CDL. Then everything needs to be according to FED DOT. REGS. And you need a log book.  Be very careful that your rig and your license meets requirements.  Many will tell you not to worry about it but my advice is do your home work. 

WHAT EVER YOU DO DO NOT GET CAUGHT TEXTING OR EVEN HOLDING A CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING YOUR RIG.  There are cameras everywhere on the highways.

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 05:35:02 AM »
Thanks for that info. I talked to the seller yesterday and he says he "might" have the trailer sold. But it has a 2 5/8 hitch ball and 16 inch tires.  He claims no rust but, he said he's waiting on someone to buy it. Which is kind of a bummer but it's so far away its commendable he's doing that. 
Thanks for the dot advice. I don't do the cell phone and drive thing so I'm ok there and I don't have any business to actually advertise so I'm ok there.  I checked the towing capacity of my truck and its almost 13000. I think if possible I'll get the trailer and then convert my old truck to a dually axle. But then again it sounds like he may have sold it already.  So back on the hunt for another trailer.  Thank y'all 10 fold for the advice and information.

Offline skydvrbob

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.45 motorcycle 1/4mile Fremont,,CA
  • Your Engine: not enough HP
  • Your Track: farmington
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: thomasville,NC
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 08:01:58 AM »
I know of a guy locally that has a 32' Exiss trailer for sale. All aluminum. Quite a bit lighter. but only 24 on the floor. Asking 10k I think. In NC

Offline Vince

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.97, nobody was laughing then
  • Your Engine: 500 BAE Hemi
  • Your Track: Famoso
  • Your Vehicle: 1934 Dodge AA Fuel Altered
  • General Location: So Cal
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »
I love my Chapparal!

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator