Author Topic: Fuel at cranking speed  (Read 3692 times)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Fuel at cranking speed
« on: August 19, 2017, 05:12:04 PM »
Hello
How much fuel should an 80A-1 deliver at cranking speed with one fully charged 12v Battery? I last ran my car at Easter no probs put it away now can't fire it while checking it over for next week-end. The pump is flooded by the tank, the line from the pump blows through Okay but it doesn't deliver any fuel at cranking speed? Pump has done 12 eighth mile passes from new.
Cheers
Tony

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
Re: Fuel at cranking speed
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 04:39:01 AM »
This afternoon I pulled the pump down and found nothing  more than some tiny marks on the bronze bushing  (I don't know what else to call it). Cleaned it up with a little 2000 wet and dry, washed it out lubed, resembled, refitted and fired but unable to continue with a flat battery.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:33:36 AM by retroboy »

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 05:22:19 AM »
I have never tried to check pump output at cranking speed bit I suspect the 12 volt system is too slow to pull the fuel up. I would route the pump output to a fuel jug and try to prime/start the engine to get some speed up and check its output . 

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:30:23 AM »
will it fire with a prime and stay running?? can you spin the fuel pump hex freely with your fingers??

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 05:09:07 AM »
Well stuffed if I know. Came home Monday from work, topped off the fuel, primed it and bingo all good. Running sweet with 17psi @idle of 1200rpm.

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 09:00:11 AM »
Good, the reason I asked was that years ago I had one freshend up and put it on the car and lasted one event, something changed causing the gap between the drive and the shaft to close up driving the impeller forward scoring the front plate and loosing primary pressure. if you can spin the pump shaft with your fingers instead of a wrench (spanner) it needs servicing, more-so with a 80a, when they go they go quickly