Author Topic: fed weight  (Read 19293 times)

Offline aafa760

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7:02 @ 196
  • Your Engine: Blown BBC 450 BAE 496
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 225 Frameworks 7.0 Pro
  • General Location: PHX AZ
Re: fed weight
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 07:22:08 PM »
225 frameworks bbc clutch and 2 spd lenco short body 1971 driver included he is old fat guy 250 #

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 03:27:07 PM »
Weighed my new car today and aligned the front end with the help of a friend.  185" car, 370" blown aluminum SBC, and a glide'. I had guessed it would weigh "about 1300". Well how about exactly 1300 without wheelie bar (or front spoiler, which I haven't fabricated yet). I only have one 10lb fire bottle but the MSD-10 box and coil are heavy.  (couldn't believe how much heavier than a -7 box and coil)   

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 12:22:50 AM »
1300 lbs is nice and light. Our 225" wb Heritage JF car with an all iron 400 ci SBC weighs 1445 WITH our driver.  No blower. We run 7.0's with a best of 190 mph on pure alky.
So you are happy with your MSD distributer ?  All the Heritage JF teams find they need MSD mag's either 12amp or like us 20 amp, with no problems. We moved up to the 20 amp when we started running more compression and more fuel to keep it from missing.  We run the 20 amp in my SBC and the Gene Adams built Hemi. How big a battery do you need running the dist ? No battery needed with MSD or Mallory mags. Only battery needed in JF is a one pound battery to run the transbrake and RacePak.
Good luck with your new chassis.   
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 05:38:38 AM »
225" with tfx block, billet heads  injected 526 hemi.  All of the crap needed to be completive  in bracket racilng now days.Driver 210 fully suited.No  real super lite stuff.Car race ready 1590 lbs. with full body and 1570 w/o.  Colud spend bunch and drop some weight,but its mostly bracket car and check reads same no matter how fast.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 12:20:00 PM »
1Only battery needed in JF is a one pound battery to run the transbrake and RacePak.

what battery are you running, i was/am looking at the shorai batteries.  14ah 210cca.  wondered if thats enough for hte TB and logger.  how often do you charge it at the track?

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 01:39:13 PM »
Best thing since sliced bread:
http://neilparks.com/chassis/powersupplies.htm

Runs Milwaukee batteries. never charge at a race, has gone 5 day races still fully charged.
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 07:00:20 PM »
1300 lbs is nice and light. Our 225" wb Heritage JF car with an all iron 400 ci SBC weighs 1445 WITH our driver.  No blower. We run 7.0's with a best of 190 mph on pure alky.
So you are happy with your MSD distributer ?  All the Heritage JF teams find they need MSD mag's either 12amp or like us 20 amp, with no problems. We moved up to the 20 amp when we started running more compression and more fuel to keep it from missing.  We run the 20 amp in my SBC and the Gene Adams built Hemi. How big a battery do you need running the dist ? No battery needed with MSD or Mallory mags. Only battery needed in JF is a one pound battery to run the transbrake and RacePak.

I really do not like mags. I run a very old MSD 10  Got to be over 20 years old. MSD discontinued these because they didn't want it to compete with their new line of mags. I run a Std full size battery, It's right behind my 80# of lead. I run a Pro Comp distributor. We self start and run on the one battery, never an issue, never a miss. The MSD 10 easily equals the pro mag 20, as told to me by MSD  Our last pass in 7.0  torched the tips off 3 plugs and removed all the porcelain from them, no misfire. We are going to run A fuel & the MSD 10 will stay on the car untill it dies & then we will install the MSD 10 PLus. I have been 6.60 @220 on nitro 30 years ago with a MSD 8 before they were released for sale. I am always looking for more MSD 10's and the coils -     

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 07:33:25 PM »
Greg, how much does your battery and hardware weigh ?
I don't have to charge the battery all weekend either.

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 05:12:29 AM »
Best thing since sliced bread:
http://neilparks.com/chassis/powersupplies.htm

Runs Milwaukee batteries. never charge at a race, has gone 5 day races still fully charged.

Another plus is that it only takes 10 seconds to change the battery if need be. We run that package on Mark Vaught's 7.0 car in use it for the logger, dash, trans brake, tail light and also an electric water pump that circulates coolant through the heads.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 08:15:16 PM »
   I haven't run the MSD -10 before, only 2 starting line hits and a Sunday drive down the track yesterday.  So I don't have enough experience to say if I like it or not. MSD said "the -10 box is only second in output to our 44 amp mag"  I'm not able to test that claim.   I have a 44 amp mag and a SuperMag 5 but I wanted to keep stuff off the front of this engine just for a clean old school look.  With my engine out 43" I'm thinking I probably can use the weight of the battery way out front.  Plus it looks like I'll have to add weight to the nose anyway (starting at 40 lbs)  (later, I may stretch this car to 210 inches).   Previously I have used a motorcycle battery in a different car and it had plenty of reserve for a MSD-3 and other accessories. Anyways, it looks as if I'll have to make a few hits to get up on the learning curve.  What compression ratio is your hemi and do you run alky or Nitro or a mix? 

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 12:08:49 AM »
The reason I asked about the battery size is I've heard that some teams have to run an alterntor in order to keep up to the drain on the battery using a MSD dist. I guess I'll have to call MSD about a MSD 10 being able to keep up to a MSD or Mallory mag. What they are trying to say is a 10 is almost as good as a MSD 44 is IF the cylinder pressure is lower and the electrical pressure is not needed as much.
The more cumbustion pressure you have the more amps are needed. To answer your question on our Adams built early 410 ci Hemi we are running 15.8 compression, burning pure alky [ Heritage rules], running 2.2 to 2.3 gal of fuel flow [ again more cyl pressure]  that's why we need a 20 amp MSD.
 If a MSD 10 is almost equal to a 44, why don't the blown nitro or at least the Top Alcohol racers use them ? The 44's take alot of effort/ HP to turn the 44, and they go thru allot of coil wires, and ign boxes.  But I guess the pro's run the 44's because they supply the amp's they need/want.   
If a team is running less compresion [ 12-13] and less fuel, then less amp's are needed.

Jon, 805-444-4489
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 08:39:15 AM »
Jon   The MSD 10  is not almost as good as a 44 - it is the next in line going down the list. The MSD 10 became very popular with the Pro Mod crowd when it was available. MSD has planed it's being obsolete by not making any more, they want to sell mags. No charging system needed unless you have other big power draws. Mag guys will argue the differences forever & that's OK 

dreracecar

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 02:25:45 PM »

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2017, 04:42:01 AM »
Electronic ignition has more power available at low rpm, and tend to fall off at high rpm, where a mag is weaker at low rpm, and gets stronger as the rpms climb, which is why they are great in boosted applications. Use one with a MSD Grid, and you have a very adjustable ignition system.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

dreracecar

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2017, 09:22:03 AM »
Its a good thing that we dont race low rpm road races and only high rpm drag races then