Author Topic: fed weight  (Read 19290 times)

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
Re: fed weight
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2017, 09:25:56 AM »
slingshot383 it should be pointed out that most (if not all) nostalgia organization do not allow MSD Grid systems.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2017, 01:01:12 PM »
The only MSD Grids allowed in FED's are Heritage A/FD and A/ND , B/ND in Comp Elim
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2017, 03:21:29 PM »
The only MSD Grids allowed in FED's are Heritage A/FD and A/ND , B/ND in Comp Elim

just getting involved with the nostalgia, can you please provide a little history as to why the grid is even allowed at all?  i just get second wind of info like one of the msd boxes used in the past was discontinued and this is the replacement?   grid is basically a programmable 7 without the ignition, although you add whatever ignition you want to it.

ty
dean

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2017, 07:27:11 AM »
Dean – not sure on the “grid” chronology history.  Comparatively, in many competitive arenas with at least two parties, when an unfair advantage is discovered, it’s typically followed by a complaint.  The presiding body investigates with an outcome determined, and typically results in a new rule or modifying an existing one.  This process is fluid, over time the original rule may not even be recognizable.  Alan

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2017, 12:48:45 PM »
The MSD grid, i believe just can adjust the timing, in and out and in, it was was replaced with an older style. You set up the perameters you want with your lap top.
I think, and because I don't race Heritage A/FD, I'm not sure of how the timing change device all started, but I think it was about trying to control tire shake.
Kin Bates driver partner in the injected nitro series champs for all but one year, would have such tire shake it would shake the his fillings out of his teeth, ya really !
So I think that's when all the Heritage teams lobbied for the timing control devices.
The big show Top alky teams have always had ign control devices.
BTW, when some of the teams A/FD Heritage switched to the Heritage TopFuel tires [ 12-36-16] 1'st on M&H then M/T it improved the tire shake issue and now 2 teams have run in the 5's.
These "Bubba" tires are very stiff sidewalls, don't grow much and are real heavy, like 70 lbs with wheels, BUT they sure work.

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2017, 02:30:13 PM »
The Grid is pretty amazing. To bad it's allowed in nostalgia racing. 
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »
USB connection for ease of programming
Timing based on engine rpm and gear value
Advanced individual cylinder timing based on gear or time
Five retard stages for nitrous
Four steps of rpm limits for burnout, spool, launch and overrev
Output switch set on rpm, pressure or time
Shift light settings for each gear
Ignition data acquisition accepts multiple runs
Crank Trigger system highly recommended
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2017, 05:06:14 PM »

BTW, when some of the teams A/FD Heritage switched to the Heritage TopFuel tires [ 12-36-16] 1'st on M&H then M/T it improved the tire shake issue and now 2 teams have run in the 5's.
These "Bubba" tires are very stiff sidewalls, don't grow much and are real heavy, like 70 lbs with wheels, BUT they sure work.

Jon

concerning the bubba tires, they have used this theory in the door car series such as 10.5 and 8.5.  run on rims that are usually about 4" wider then the tire.  this why i asked the question in the wheelie bar thread. seems like everyone just does the same ole thing thats been done for last 60 years.  even though these guys have big power for the size of tire, the theory could still provide bennies for lesser powered setups, even feds.  hence controlling tire shake with little hp and big tire in addition to wheelie bar height. 

The Grid is pretty amazing. To bad it's allowed in nostalgia racing. 

ive messed with msd programmable 7 a bit before jumping into EFI.  the grid is basically the Programmable 7 without ignition capabilities, meaning all the control is still there and now MSD made it so it is modular for other dizzy's, mags, etc. which is awesome.   There is a lot you can do with the GRID.  timing is primary, control slew rate.. 

id love to use it in this type of racing, there would  be a lot of benefits to using it.  would be nice to have a 2 step on the launch and mess with timing a bit down track.  but, im an electronic type of person. i get the 'purist' aspect of the racing.. but this is 2017.. just like nascar went to EFI finally after gazillion years.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »
I run the 7AL3 box on mine and it has worked very well for me !

dreracecar

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2017, 12:54:56 PM »

"but this is 2017.. just like nascar went to EFI finally after gazillion years."

Its just like NHRA Pro Stock, They could of had EFI years ago, But they had to design a system/program that only controlled the one function that the racers could not mess with and not control other things. EFI  computers are purged and program updates installed at the beginning of every NHRA event and the EFI parameters re-progamed by the teams

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2017, 03:06:10 PM »
http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/tech-deep-dive-getting-to-know-msds-power-grid-features/

waaaayyyyy too much technology for me. we just changed from points to a gm hei last year. not a fan of it either. prefer the simple old school stuff.

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2017, 10:25:52 AM »
was speaking to person this weekend at the track and they mentioned running the electronics turns the class into something else, a different type of class.  thus, running electronics takes away from what the class is about.  putting the electronics just ads cost to the class and makes it challenging for those who are not familiar with it or have tight funds to be on same page.  so i can see merit in not having it.

dreracecar

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2017, 01:23:25 PM »
Its not about tight funds to be on the same page, its more like why spend the money for somthing that is not needed,   If everybody has it , then there is no advantage in having it and if nobody has it , nobody is at a dis-advantage.