Author Topic: Older fed  (Read 4609 times)

Offline Guido

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.52 185 mph
  • Your Engine: Supercharged sbc
  • Your Track: Kearney raceway park
  • Your Vehicle: 170" FED
  • General Location: Mid westMHRUWX
Older fed
« on: August 09, 2017, 10:59:09 AM »
Looking at an older fed, last time it was certified was 1994. What should I watch for and how much would need done to get 're certified? It's 4 hours away so I have only seen pictures and wondering if it's worth the drive to check out

Offline crider

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.01
  • Your Engine: BBC
  • Your Track: farmington, Nc
  • Your Vehicle: in progress
  • General Location: south east
Re: Older fed
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
If it has been certified in the past, it shouldn't take much if anything to re-cert. Probably just add helmet bars at worst

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 03:34:32 PM »
Helmet and kidney bars

Helmet bars replace straps and small dia tubing around the cage,  1" dia x .058 minimum
Kidney bars are 1.25x.058 tubing between the forward seat uprite and the rear chassis uprite(s). the test is a straight edge must not come into contact with the seat shell while touching two uprites.
  Bring or borrow all required driving gear to make sure you even fit and can get out of the car ---street clothes are not enough bulk and misleading

Offline Guido

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.52 185 mph
  • Your Engine: Supercharged sbc
  • Your Track: Kearney raceway park
  • Your Vehicle: 170" FED
  • General Location: Mid westMHRUWX
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 03:05:45 AM »
Thanks for the info

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 06:25:10 PM »
A sticker didn't mean anything to the car we bought 7 years ago. The NHRA certification sticker in the FED was 3 years old. I called NHRA and got nothing on record. If a certification isn't current it is not a stored record is what I was told. So we took  the chassis to a NHRA inspector who was in St. Louis at the time to find out the chassis wouldn't certify to anything. So from my experience if the chassis certification is not current it would be a good move to make a deal with the seller to get it done and then make the deal. George

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 11:11:36 AM »
And what was the reason given for it to fail???

Offline hotrod316

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 01:19:52 PM »
where is the green paper too the fed?
we always save the paper work! :o 8)

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 03:02:29 PM »
Interesting subject ! I have been working part time for NHRA for the last year . I have seen a bunch of cars that had stickers on them that would not pass chassis cert ! The guy I have been working with is by the book on chassis certs and he should be in my opinion ! He has spent a lot of time showing me things on these cars and it has been a real eye opener !I feel bad for him when he has to fail a car that already has a sticker on it but he calmly gets out his book and show's and explains to the racer what needs to be done ! Most of the time they understand and thank him for being so thorough and a few don't take it so well !Just thought I would share this with you guys !