• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.01
  • Your Engine: BBC
  • Your Track: farmington, Nc
  • Your Vehicle: in progress
  • General Location: south east
Seats
« on: August 07, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »
Been thinking of doing a poured seat in the dragster. What is everyones opinion here that has done it. Foam type or bead type and why?  Which one is easier to do?

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: Seats
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 04:09:02 PM »
Bead kit from Butler in Concord NC closest to you--get small kit--more than enough
It ain't easy--you must have a helper--call me and I will tell you all about my experience and how to do better than I did LOL  704 244 6649
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 06:00:29 AM »
I use the bead seat. You'll need a good shop vac or vacuum pump. Lay it all out and test everything before you mix the resin, and when you do mix the resin make sure you keep the sealing surfaces free of resin. You will need a helper and it's really not a bad job if you think it through ahead of time.

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 08:44:59 AM »
Done both,   Foam is expensive and short working time and heats up when curing, best to have the manf come out and do it (if avail) that way they eat the material if they screw-up.
  Bead kits I get from GARVIN motorsports (Fla) they come with EVERTHING needed except the driver,seat, vacuum.  working time is long so you can spend time getting it right, and you will need somebody to work the material while you sit (go to the bathroom first) and you will be sitting for a couple hrs with the vacuum on. Its a 2 day deal , 1 afternoon to mix, fit and set, the next day when cured, do the final trim and shape, and then the cover and tapeing.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:07:44 PM by dreracecar »

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 03:23:38 PM »
Not top hijak thread. Could same material be used to make helmet pads.I know not sfi but better than hard foam rubber that is legal. plus I can afford it right now and upgrade to real deal later.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline crider

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.01
  • Your Engine: BBC
  • Your Track: farmington, Nc
  • Your Vehicle: in progress
  • General Location: south east
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 04:30:45 PM »
Looks like most everyone here is saying beads.

dreracecar

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 05:33:45 PM »
Not top hijak thread. Could same material be used to make helmet pads.I know not sfi but better than hard foam rubber that is legal. plus I can afford it right now and upgrade to real deal later.

bead seat material is just as hard and un-forgiving