Author Topic: New guy with cage questions  (Read 3537 times)

Offline Guido

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.52 185 mph
  • Your Engine: Supercharged sbc
  • Your Track: Kearney raceway park
  • Your Vehicle: 170" FED
  • General Location: Mid westMHRUWX
New guy with cage questions
« on: August 02, 2017, 07:07:38 AM »
Hello I'm 5'11" 210 lbs what size cage works be recommended? I see allot of 19" and 22" is that the inside bar measurement?

dreracecar

Re: New guy with cage questions
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 08:21:10 AM »
Depends on the person measuring.  Myself (as I build chassis's) measure the shoulder hoop at the tubing centerline where the bend starts.  So when I say that the shoulder hoop is on 21" centers using 1.5" dia tubing, the inside width without the seat is 19.5".
  Back in the day when drivers (back from war) were 138#, the suits were tin-foil, and the helmets were there to keep the hair out of your eyes, 19" (on center) was the standard, Now with bigger drivers, the SFI 15/20 suits and the larger helmets, along with a HANS, 21" (on center) has become the standard along with the shoulder hoop made from 2- 6" radius bends with a straight section between them verses the full radius bend an no straight.  If you are big, try and avoid the "round back" chassis as it rolls/hunches your shoulders in/up too much and really confinds your movements and the Hans does not fit properly, A square back design allows your back to fit flat against the chassis/seat for more comfort and movement

Offline Guido

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.52 185 mph
  • Your Engine: Supercharged sbc
  • Your Track: Kearney raceway park
  • Your Vehicle: 170" FED
  • General Location: Mid westMHRUWX
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 08:44:52 AM »
Thanks for the great info

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 05:51:57 PM »
Mine is 21 1/2 at the shoulder and I am 5' 11'' 235 and with 15 suit on I am comfortable
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 03:04:22 AM »
I recently put a 6' 5"/280 lb driver in a 20" (inside dimension) shoulder hoop altered but I did have to put elbow pockets in the seat which is not really an option in a front motor dragster due to the placement of uprights to meet the SFI spec.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.