Author Topic: Opinions  (Read 5403 times)

Offline Oldschool

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.42 in a BB Chevy Altered 9.28 in my Vega
  • Your Engine: 434 Scott Shafiroff Racing Engine
  • Your Track: US 36 , Mo Kan and Heartland Park Topeka
  • Your Vehicle: 173" Front Engine Dragster
Opinions
« on: July 14, 2017, 07:56:56 PM »
😎
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:57:58 PM by Oldschool »
It is not the years in your life
But the life in your years

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
Re: Opinions
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 05:31:31 AM »
I would relocate it. Here's mine:

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 07:38:24 AM »
I was trying to find a picture of my set up from the mid 90's I had a low mount fuel pump on my SBC in a super narrow chassis so I know it is possible. The kit was purchased fromRons the flying toilet place. I will look some more today but that was before smart phones so people took a lot less photos!!!!

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 08:03:29 AM »
I don't think that it will work very well where you have it mounted ! You could use the normal drive off of the cam like Ricardo's picture or if you want to run it off of a belt you can mount it low and modify your existing bracket . Ron's Fuel injection makes a bracket to mount your pump . Here are a couple of pictures of mine . i hope this helps you out .

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 08:22:18 AM »
I don't think that it will work very well where you have it mounted ! You could use the normal drive off of the cam like Ricardo's picture or if you want to run it off of a belt you can mount it low and modify your existing bracket . Ron's Fuel injection makes a bracket to mount your pump . Here are a couple of pictures of mine . i hope this helps you out .
Really tricky setup Bill, nice!

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 08:31:45 AM »
the way its been done for 40 years now.  sometimes the best way is the simplest

dreracecar

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 08:39:44 AM »

We had some sprinters run a belt drive OP and mount the fuel pump to the back of it, that way if the belt broke/tossed the engine would shutoff instead of kept running without oil pressure

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 09:51:13 AM »

We had some sprinters run a belt drive OP and mount the fuel pump to the back of it, that way if the belt broke/tossed the engine would shutoff instead of kept running without oil pressure

My opinion is that you need to move the pump. Attached is a picture of mine mounted like what Bruce describes above. My motor will actually fire up like a street motor (no primer) with this configuration.

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 05:34:51 AM »
 A couple more thoughts...your front motor plate looks beautiful but it is much, much larger than it needs to be and connected to the block with many more fasteners as necessary. You really only need to pick up the four water pump holes. You could make the plate much smaller and possibly use some of the exposed tapped holes. Also, I think Jon Hansen already mentioned this but you should move that return poppet that is above your drivers side valve cover. It looks like you'll have a difficult time removing the cover. Depending on how your pump ends up being mounted , make sure you have the pump rotating in the proper direction. Hope that helps!

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 11:16:01 AM »
Our fuel pump is also driven off the oil pump.
The difference is our pump is in front of the block not the side of the block do to space limitations.
Works great....
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:17:54 AM by Supercat »

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 12:22:48 PM »

Yes this is the mount I ran granted I had my fuel pump on the opposite side

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 01:21:11 PM »
Really tricky setup Bill, nice!
Thanks for the compliment Ricardo ! Nothing really trick there just a lot of old parts ! The heads and manifold are 30 years old but that set of heads is what makes my car so fast ! They are an old set of 18 degree castings that were done by the late Jimmy Bell ! They flow close to 400 cfm on the intake !