Author Topic: Viton O-rings  (Read 3496 times)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Viton O-rings
« on: June 29, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »
Howdy
I've just bought a one way check valve which has Viton O-rings to fit to the top of my fuel pump to keep the system primed for ease of starting. Are Viton O-rings okay for use with Methanol fuel or should they be replaced with something else.
Cheers
Tony

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: Viton O-rings
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 06:35:28 AM »

Material               Trade name            Compatibility
----------------------------------------------------------
Flourocarbon                      Viton             Gasoline ONLY!
Nitrile                                  Buna-N         Methanol or Gasoline - NO Nitro!
Ethylene propylene             EPDM            Nitro or methanol - NO gas!

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 07:56:35 AM »
I really dont see a need for one, and if there was a need , everybody would be running one. Closing the fuel shutoff valve basicly does the same thing.  Very restrictive for a feed line, but its not my car

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 02:58:56 AM »
I have a single butterfly system similar to a Ron's with the fuel shut off at the metering block/barrel valve. I made a simple primer which works fine but just looking to simplify things. So the pump (110-0) wouldn't be okay ? I only use a dash 6 line from the pump.
Cheers

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 12:52:36 PM »
Is it possible to move the fuel shutoff from the metering valve to the top of your 110-0 fuel pump to replace the one-way check valve?  Then as Bruce wrote, when you pull the shut-off, existing fuel will sit in the fuel line between the shut-off and the metering valve.  Next time you startup, should be easier with your fuel line full to gain pressure to your metering valve, plus eliminates the one-way check valve. 

Only a guess on capacity of a 110-0 pump, should be okay with a -6an line, similar to what many of us plumb.  Alan