Author Topic: new experiences - my 225" fed  (Read 34142 times)

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
Re: new experiences - my 225" fed
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2019, 04:41:41 PM »

i looked in the rules for 7.0 'support group 9' or general regulations 9:3 does it say ANYTHING about the fire bottles extending past the front of the frame.  please call out the section where it says nothing can be out in front of the frame.

as far as me putting the bottles out there, i understand the valid points with concerns to impacting a wall, another car, etc and potential hazards.  I have never been around these things till couple of years ago.  when i looked for the manual on how to build a front engine dragster and where to put things i could not find one.   everything you mount in the car is purely a judgemental decision, for one who has never done this, the judgement is limited due to inexperience and exposure to this type of vehicle.  to do again, i would probably do a few things different.  nevertheless In my mind i did nothing wrong with putting them where i did other then the points mentioned, which i did not consider.  so if you want to stick in my butt for being a novice and making what you feel is a mistake so be it.  i thought it was a cool idea and thing to do for weight concerns so i did it. 

tell me what else you feel is a problem so we can get on with it and make the necessary changes so we dont have this bs anymore.   

Dean

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2019, 10:33:42 AM »
Dean I work part time as a tech inspector for NHRA and from my view point you have done nothing wrong !  I value Roo and Bruces input and they do make a good point about the safety aspect of this ! I plan on re mounting my bottle in a similar manner so I am thinking of a piece of 3/8 tubing in front of the bottle to protect it in case of hitting a foam block or timing beam ! I read both the NHRA and Heritage rules and I can not find it any where so I would have to say it is legal to do ! As a tech inspector I try my best to help a racer out when there is something wrong and help them find a solution !

dreracecar

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2019, 11:07:49 AM »
Its not always "whats in the book, but what is "NOT" in the book that tech can go by as the "BOOK" does not say you "CAN" either. You as a tech person can sign it off, Starter can shut him off at the line anyway if he feels it is not safe and thinks you missed seeing it. How many times in the tech line have you checked the helmet to roll cage distance??? There have been starters that will shut you off if they see your helmet too far out the cage.  Trying to argue "tech let me run it that way a month ago" never works.

Its a grey-shady area, and since its well within the 40" overhang max, no need to build a new car, just add an extention to the frame at that point just to eliminate ANY possibility of it getting called out
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:16:42 AM by dreracecar »

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2019, 11:43:01 AM »
Bruce when I tech a car I go by the book as I was told by our tech director and if I have a question I will go to him and his first question is did you look it up in the book ! Last season I flunked a guy in top dragster because his helmet was expired and argued with me because he had raced all year and they told him it was fine ! I also had a woman yell at me and call me an ass hole because her husband lost from me putting him in the wrong lane !

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2019, 12:04:55 PM »
Legal, probably. Safe,? You have a nice car with some nice workmanship, congrats. The only dog I have in this fight is safety, for you and the others at the track. Just by chance, the photo is from the current issue of National Dragster and shows what happens when a compressed extinguishing agent is expelled at a high velocity from a loose cylinder…instant unguided missile (upper right in photo). With your bottles so far legally forward they would be the first to encounter damage in an accident and could be broken loose or have the system rendered inoperable due to damage and would be of no use in the subsequent fire. I suppose the driver in the photo should feel relieved that the bottle wasn’t aimed at him…

dreracecar

« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2019, 12:43:05 PM »
Bruce when I tech a car I go by the book as I was told by our tech director and if I have a question I will go to him and his first question is did you look it up in the book ! Last season I flunked a guy in top dragster because his helmet was expired and argued with me because he had raced all year and they told him it was fine ! I also had a woman yell at me and call me an ass hole because her husband lost from me putting him in the wrong lane !
  If the racer had .063 aluminum steering arms bolted to the front spindles with 2 bolts, would you say something??? nothing in the book about it. Any crash where any person (driver or spectator) is injured, they pull the tech card and see who signed it off.

Here's a gem---4:2 BALLAST As permitted in Class Requirements. Any material used for the purpose of adding to a car’s total weight must be permanently attached to the car’s structure and must not extend in front of or behind the rear of the car’s body

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2019, 01:30:32 PM »
Well, if the tech inspector asks me if I did it to add weight I'll say no, I did it for safety . :o

I got a plan.  I'll extend the nose to legal limits and make a nice 12" tall flag at front so I can gain that 1" advantage assuming a perfect race lol. I was looking for a name for the car. I'll think I'll call it hammer head after this fiasco lol. (I'm joking  :P)

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Time to hit the track  ;D

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2019, 06:25:56 AM »
Yes Bruce I would say something ! Dean why don't you send a picture of your bottle mounts to your Division tech director and this way if you have to make a change you can do it ahead of time and avoid any problems when you go to the next race !

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2019, 12:26:33 PM »
Yes Bruce I would say something ! Dean why don't you send a picture of your bottle mounts to your Division tech director and this way if you have to make a change you can do it ahead of time and avoid any problems when you go to the next race !

they are solidly and legally mounted.  just like N&P does, any altered, etc..   only issue is, as the jerk pointed out what is ballast per 4:2.   are they ballast or are they safety and how do you argue the point if questioned?  irregardless, ill extend the front out another ten inches like its really going to do anything if i do become a wall flower.  doesnt make a bit of difference if its a FED or altered, anyone who tags wall with the front and the bottles up front will have the same issue. 

Dean

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2019, 08:22:14 PM »
I would not consider those ballast as they are required by NHRA rules for the class you run in.  What I would say is you placed the weight you are required to carry in the most advantageous location

Offline Rat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.585 @ 154.55
  • Your Engine: Stack Injected All Iron 392 Chrysler Hemi
  • Your Track: Willowbank Raceway, Queensland, Australia
  • Your Vehicle: Colthup Bros FED
  • General Location: Australia - East Coast
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2019, 12:36:24 AM »
I think most everyone has a legitimate point in this thread but, sorry Noslin,  I lean toward the bottles should not be that exposed. Even when legally mounted look what happened just this past weekend at the Gators.

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/cox-uninjured-but-wrecks-brand-new-chevy-in-tafc-eliminations

Offline Rat

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2019, 12:39:54 AM »
PS Forgot to say nice build.  8)
How long before you hit the track.

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2019, 08:07:16 PM »
PS Forgot to say nice build.  8)
How long before you hit the track.

thanks sir, made one little hit to about 400ft at MM. there is a FED race locally end of april.  hope to get a few hits in before then.

concerning the bottles.. im done with the conversation.

dean

Offline Rat

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2019, 02:13:46 AM »
 8) We also have a nostalgia meet at the end of April hoping to complete licencing passes beforehand so we can race.
Will be my first passes in many years, can't wait. ;D

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2019, 05:48:48 AM »
8) We also have a nostalgia meet at the end of April hoping to complete licencing passes beforehand so we can race.
Will be my first passes in many years, can't wait. ;D

Good luck to you, you'll have a blast getting behind the wheel again.