Author Topic: new experiences - my 225" fed  (Read 34105 times)

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
Re: new experiences - my 225" fed
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2019, 09:09:24 AM »
I like your fire bottle mounts looks like a good way to keep weight on the front ! Car looks great !

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2019, 05:08:15 PM »
I like your fire bottle mounts looks like a good way to keep weight on the front ! Car looks great !

thank you sir.  i think once i get the rest of the body done it will look a lot better. I really like the looks of a full body.

so today finally getting around to doing a creaform pour in seat.  one thing i like about the creaform is you have plenty of time to play with it and conform it.  when i purchased the kit from Pegasus Auto Racing i didnt know what size to get so i got the large.  I can say that is to much as you can see in the pics there is a lot of excess.  i would probably get the one that uses the largest bag but not so much material.  which i think is the large from them.  when i got the kit, it comes from Bald Spot Sportshttps://www.baldspotsports.com/.  I would of purchased from them if i had done a little bit better research.  looking at BSS website you can see they do pro drag racing seats and they have a few vids online which shows pretty much how it goes.

so, initial after watching videos, purchasing a vac pump, gauge etc i did went about things as they show.   one thing off the bat i think i would do differently is heat up the resin and catalyst more.  its been in the house so about 70 deg.  it was pretty thick when went to go mix it.  it did not appear like it does in the vids. 

i mixed it up for few minutes to where i thought it was mixed well as could be then poured in.  it went right to the bottom of the bag and kind of clumped there.  i htink if was warmer and thinner it would of dispersed better.   i started to push and mix and really doesnt feel like anything is happening with the liquid interacting with the beads so that parts an unknown.  i did this about ten minutes as instructions say. 

i laid out the bag, taped the end, and then tried to even in it out thorughout the bag.  in the back of my mind i was concerned about the lower lumbar area and i think got to much or made it too thick through the torso area.   

went to stick it in the car and as you can see in the photos way too much material.  i jumped in real quick to kind pre-mold the seat then got dressed and jumped back in.  My buddy Jeff was helping me as this isnt really a one person job.  he pushed and needed around areas but in the end i think there is too much back up around the shoulder areas.  one problem is there is just too much material to deal with.  so, im hoping for one the resin did get everywhere and second ill be able to mold or sand a little bit tomorrow when i go to take it out and trim etc. 

so for now here is a couple of pics.  one thing, in the instructions they say 2lbs vac and i dont think the HF pump is pulling that;  but it is pulling a vacuum.  im not to confident right not that it will turn out ok but if this doesnt turn out ok ill get a smaller kit...  I wont use the fabric till it fits nice.  the other thing to note is, when your sitting in the seat without your suit on or any padding you kind of sit way down in there.  when you do the pour in seat, its amazing what one inch up and forward does for cockpit space. 

ill report back in a few days progress on how it turned out.

They say to smooth out the wrinkles.  i tried a little bit then said screw it.  i get to messin with things and ill mess it up more if thats the case.  i know a lot of that will be cut out. 

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2019, 09:38:47 PM »
well, i scrapped the seat.  ill do another one down the road.  i know now that 25lb system is toooooo much.  the 15lb would of worked fine.  the material had no place to go.

anyways, we got the motor in and running.  our push is to make march meet which we are taking the fed but have few little things to work through.  one is, i didnt put the convertor in all the way.  motor is running, wheels are not spinning.  after speaking to few ppl thats the consensus.  everything is brand new and so it make sense.  will pull the trans back wenday and see or make the convertor go in  and should be good (i hope haha)

one of the great things about going to an event like this is all the knowledge that is available. that in itself is worth the trip.  My buddy jeff is the motor head (his motor) and he is making very good contacts and getting help from some great people.   weve both had great help along the way and really appreciate every bit of it and the people offering it.

anyways, enough jibber jabber.   here it is getting loaded.  i can get the fed and the cart in no problem in 28' trailer with 26' on the deck (cabinets)

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2019, 06:24:30 AM »
beautiful

dreracecar

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2019, 09:31:21 AM »
Not to be a jerk although I frequenty am,  Tech might have a problem with the fire bottles that far in front of the frame, past the nose instead of behind

3-11-19   March Meet
  Had some discussion with head tech liason for NHRA, one of the many things brought up and without mentioning names was the fire bottle mounting.  Ken Gentry (NHRA) stated that  although the bottles can be mounted outside the frame, the FIRST POINT OF CONTACT must be the frame and NOT the bottles.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:22:57 AM by dreracecar »

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2019, 06:26:40 PM »
to be frank, you usually are.  ill only race two of those races and maybe one or two at sac for heritage.  if i get popped ill know who to thank are most jerks (whiners) are the ones to snitch.... Ill be more then happy to stay at home and race the local nostalgia races where they dont care about that crap. also, if it was really a concern i think ken would of been nice enough to notify me when he was AT MY HOUSE teching my car and also in the pits when i asked him a question.  Again, if its an issue it will be because SOMEONE BITCHED.... time will tell what jerk will bitch.

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2019, 10:05:31 AM »
Bruce, this just eats at me but it seems it's your nature to be Mr perfect and hall monitor. I've never even been in a few down the track untill Saturday.  It just amazes me that your concerned about some guy who is new to this type of racing. I would be lucky to win a round the first year out or even a race. 

Aside from that, it's the implication that I put them out there to gain an advantage.  I did it for weight as I figured it would need some. The other thing too is at 200 mph at the finish line between two cars your taking greater the .0009 feet in.001 seconds..  How many index races have you been involved in where both left exactly the same and ended exaclty the same.  I think this is a very very very ,.......... Very...  Rare occurrence. Maybe one in a thousand or more as a guess? . 

Times are changing, even though this is nostalgia race the cars evolve with time.  If you don't like the direction then change your car or maybe this isn't for you anymore.  I get you guys have a minimal setup but that's your decision. Just because the design of the cars have changed to what you view is not necessarily representative of the 60s isn't mine or anyone else's problem, it's yours.   

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:13:43 AM by noslin »

Offline racerken

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.76 1/4 mile (FED)
  • Your Track: State Capital Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Baton Rouge La
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2019, 02:50:20 PM »
Bruce,  not trying to be a smart ass but that sounds like a screwed up NHRA answer to the problem.  How can the bottles be mounted autside of the frame and the frame be first point of contact?

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2019, 04:18:15 PM »
now that im home and thinking about this a bit more even though im still pissed at the jerk.   my bottles stick out 4" max past the nose/end of the chassis.  legally i think your allowed up to 30" past the spindle center line.  the bitching is to the wheel but we will stick with what is legal per nhra.  if your ride doesnt fit it, thats your problem as noted.

200mph / 60 min/hr = 3.33 ft/second
3.33 ft /sec  / 60sec/min = .055 feet/sec
.055 ft/sec    / 60 = .0009ft /tenth of sec
.0009 ft / 60 = .000015 ft / hundredths.

since were assuming both cars are perfect like Bruce then it would probably come down to 'x' hundredths of a second difference.   since the distance is .000015ft and were talking about 4" the distance is really .000006 ft.. you guys are really going to bitch about that!   seriously?

as stated before, aside from Bruce being perfect.. how many races has anyone seen where the drivers have the same reaction time, same et, and same mph?   if you did how many runs have you watched in your life to see that happen?

we worked hard to get the car out to the track and you have to first insinuate this was done for an advantage and second you have to just kick a guy in the balls with this kind of BS.   just flippin ridiculous.

dreracecar

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2019, 04:32:22 PM »
If one were to contact the wall at a 90* angle, the frame has to make first contact (however small) before the bottles touch the wall, that is the only thing NHRA TECH has to go by. For me personally and I am a builder and not tech, I don't care for hanging the bottles out there and If I did, I would draw a line from the spindle end to the front of the chassis and the bottle be mounted behind the line a protected better at all angles of impact, But that's me. Where and how the bottles are mounted is not "protestable" unless the bottles are  out further then 40" from the lead spindle centerline. This is only a matter for Pre race TECH for which they can pass or fail the installation, NHRA chassis cert (K.Gentry for that area) is only concerned with the tubing spec behind the motor plate, and his job is done at that point and he's off to the next chassis.
 I am not perfect by any means known to man. I alerted you to possably an issue with how the bottles are mounted for whatever reason, and gave you a response as how NHRA views it, Whether you do anything about it or not, Whether Tech lets you slide thru or puts you back on trailer is the very-very least of my concerns. My only real concern, is when a FB does get knocked off and goes shooting off, is what new spec or ruling NHRA will come up with to prevent this from happening again
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:44:42 PM by dreracecar »

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2019, 06:18:12 PM »
If 200 mph = 293 ft/sec
isnt that 29.3 feet per 1/10 of a second?
and
2.93 feet per 1/100 of a second?
and .293 feet per 1/1000 of a second?
.293 feet x 12 in/ft = 3.516 inches per 1/1000 second?
at 200 mph
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 06:27:40 PM by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER »

dreracecar

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2019, 06:48:27 PM »
I don't know where you got the idea that I was protesting the bottles in conjuction with overhand, Rules state that you can have no more than 40" from the center of the leading spindle to the furthest point forward of the car- That is the PRINTED rule that we all go by- and that 40" can be either the chassis, body, wing, and or firebottles  BUT- the firebottles mounted outside the frame must be located behind the frame tubing and not first point of contact

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2019, 02:02:12 PM »
I don't know about the bottles bieng outside the frame rails and first pint of contact.  Where in the rules does it state this.

It's a mute point for my car as the bottles are under 40" from CL of axle.

If u pop me then pop the guy in a/fuel who has had them out there for years.  (I think it's a fuel, I have pic of car.)

If 200 mph = 293 ft/sec
isnt that 29.3 feet per 1/10 of a second?
and
2.93 feet per 1/100 of a second?
and .293 feet per 1/1000 of a second?
.293 feet x 12 in/ft = 3.516 inches per 1/1000 second?
at 200 mph

This would be correct. But then the question is not a foot but the difference beyond the legal stated distance over 40".  So hypothetically if it's 4" then say 1.2 inch roughly. That's how I would calc it.

Good to know it's 40" as that gives me room to extend the nose out further.  I'll be sure to make it a tall nose pc.

dreracecar

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2019, 02:55:20 PM »
If you are referring to Dennis Allens A/F with the bottles in front, they are mounted back from the front of the nose--- Try again

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2019, 02:59:02 PM »
As some of you know Bruce and I have had our differences over the years but I am with him on this one. I don't give a xxxx about the advantage regarding front overhang etc but I do worry about putting cylinders of compressed substance out where any mishap involving contact with the wall, another car etc could knock them off the car and possibly tear the head off the bottle. I know that funny cars run them well forward in some cases but they are behind the front of the frame (and usually a weight bar as well). Mounting them so that they are the first part of the car to hit anything in a frontal impact sounds stupid to me.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.