Author Topic: new experiences - my 225" fed  (Read 34122 times)

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
Re: new experiences - my 225" fed
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2018, 08:21:08 AM »
noslin - your sheet metal work nicely done, takes skill for it to look and fit right.  Plus locating dzus fasteners to align front to back and match flow.  Hand crafted foot pedals very different look, was good idea and turned out well.  A+ on tranny purchase, excellent buy waiting for right moment.  Alan

p.s. on dzus placement, I’ve seen some where dzus located such that rear wheel has to be removed to gain access; slight delay removing panel.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:33:10 AM by denverflatheader »

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2018, 09:01:18 PM »
noslin - your sheet metal work nicely done, takes skill for it to look and fit right.  Plus locating dzus fasteners to align front to back and match flow.  Hand crafted foot pedals very different look, was good idea and turned out well.  A+ on tranny purchase, excellent buy waiting for right moment.  Alan

p.s. on dzus placement, I’ve seen some where dzus located such that rear wheel has to be removed to gain access; slight delay removing panel.

Thank you sir for the complements, they are much appreciated.  trying to think/figure out how to do the front end tin.  shaping the nose will be interesting.

so i finished plumbing the fire system in the driver compartment.  i have no idea if it is acceptable or not.  so input would be nice as i can change it.  i put one pointing up at the torque convertor, one down by feet pointing kind of upwards and one at the steering thinking it would get the crotch area and hands; more crotch area.  i have never seen fire system work so im just guessing how the nozzle spray and also guessing what kind of force they may put out which would affect spray pattern.

thank you
Dean

Offline Oldboy

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 40years 1/4mile
  • Your Track: Shakespeare County Raceway, U.K.
  • Your Vehicle: Wanabee F.E.D.
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2018, 04:49:06 AM »
Mmmm. Nice work, especially love the seat pan, how'd ya do that, in awe.

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2018, 04:21:39 PM »
nice work!

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2018, 06:21:54 PM »
Mmmm. Nice work, especially love the seat pan, how'd ya do that, in awe.

oh, the chassis builder Bill Comstock did the seat pan.  he was going to use a carbon fiber seat but due to me being so tall he had to make aluminum one.  i think the CF one is 90 deg (guess) from back to seat and i think this one is probably a tad tighter, so the CF wouldnt work or fit correctly.

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2018, 07:42:41 AM »
I am also quite tall (6'6") and do have some back pain issues. When I had my chassis built (Advanced Chassis, Antwerp, Ohio) I took them a plywood template of my back in the seating position with appropriate lumbar support built in. It is very comfortable.

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2018, 04:50:26 PM »
I am also quite tall (6'6") and do have some back pain issues. When I had my chassis built (Advanced Chassis, Antwerp, Ohio) I took them a plywood template of my back in the seating position with appropriate lumbar support built in. It is very comfortable.

thats very cool and looks great.  its neat they were able to do the lumbar for you too.  gonna be a fun ride for you. 

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2018, 08:18:10 PM »
Thanks noslin - its my avatar car. Been havin' fun with it for years.

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2018, 12:07:53 PM »
Dean - maybe keep in mind when designing your sheet metal the couple areas that are more prone to wear and damage, like the front end.  Your future effort to repair or replace a complex design may help select the final shape.

For your fire system, running the feed lines and nozzles above the bottom of the adjacent frame rail is required per the nhra rulebook.  Your nozzle placements look like they’ll do suitable job, all located inside the frame rails. 

You’ve probably done this already; suited up with driving shoes/boots on and climbed in/out of the driver’s compartment by yourself to verify the feed lines and nozzles allow unblemished movement.  When activated, the fire bottle(s) must completely discharge, not sure of the force, you could test your nozzles with pressurized water to see the spray pattern and adjust as necessary.

When you’re ready to do final feed line and nozzle installations, you might consider a product like this one, or perhaps you already have them or something similar.  Alan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Piece-Stainless-Steel-Metal-Zip-Ties-Straps-Wrapping-Exhaust-Locking-Pipes/323416367245?hash=item4b4d1e208d:g:kBgAAOSwt~5bg6mh

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2018, 05:53:22 PM »
Dean - maybe keep in mind when designing your sheet metal the couple areas that are more prone to wear and damage, like the front end.  Your future effort to repair or replace a complex design may help select the final shape.

For your fire system, running the feed lines and nozzles above the bottom of the adjacent frame rail is required per the nhra rulebook.  Your nozzle placements look like they’ll do suitable job, all located inside the frame rails. 

You’ve probably done this already; suited up with driving shoes/boots on and climbed in/out of the driver’s compartment by yourself to verify the feed lines and nozzles allow unblemished movement.  When activated, the fire bottle(s) must completely discharge, not sure of the force, you could test your nozzles with pressurized water to see the spray pattern and adjust as necessary.

When you’re ready to do final feed line and nozzle installations, you might consider a product like this one, or perhaps you already have them or something similar.  Alan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Piece-Stainless-Steel-Metal-Zip-Ties-Straps-Wrapping-Exhaust-Locking-Pipes/323416367245?hash=item4b4d1e208d:g:kBgAAOSwt~5bg6mh

Thanks Alan for the input, ive jumped in the seat many times but not with suit yet.  i  know that will change things but i htink with the nozzles, i think they will be out of the way of knees and feet.

so, i called Good Vibrations today asking about cable for the fire system.  The person was extremely helpful and got me to re-think how im setting this up.  my plan was to do two seperate systems and pull to activate.  In speaking with the sales person, he pointed out NHRA rule and also noted there are half dozen that he knows who have two seperate systems.  He mentioned one way to get around it is to hook both cables together if asked about it.

the other thing he brought up is to push and not pull.  He mentioned with/when doing the blind-fold test you dont want to be thrashing around trying to find handle to 'pull'.  so, since in the front i have it setup to do a pull from bottle end.  i would have to do same setup on drivers in so it is a push setup; which he pointed out people do set them up this way.

so, dilemma..  first is getting both handles in one spot that isnt in the way while getting in/out of fed.  secondly, building setup to make this a push setup; which is no big deal.. just takes up space.  lastly, maybe just set it up so both fire bottles as per rules and not do separate setup.. 

I understand the premise of having two seperate systems as if one blows you can use your bottle for the other one and save yourself some money not having to fill both bottles.  i guess the road block for me is getting both in one spot thats easily accessible and where i can tie both handles together if need be.  also, enough room to build the cantilever setup at driver end to make a push setup.

on a side note, i asked how much to refill 10lb bottle.  its $130 and recert is $35 per bottle. 

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2018, 07:50:43 AM »
I run two sep systems on my dragster.  Both knobs are push to activate.  Both on left side of dash.  They are the only thing on the left side of my dash. 
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2019, 04:12:14 PM »
ok, been awhile since posting progress.  long story short, where about 98% ready.  will start the motor this week sometimes, maybe make shake down runs next sat to get our feet wet then hit it harder the next weekend and see if we can get advanced et lic passes in so we can run 7.0 at march meet.

ill just post bunch of pics.  i did what i thought was correct but things can always be changed and some things probably will once we get some time in.

i attempted to do rear engine run stand and it did not turn out well.  so months later i tried again and it came out ok.  prob an inch or two narrower then id like but i hope it wil work ok.  eventually ill get some pro jacks.  i need to make couple plugs for the ends for the 1/2" pins to go into.  right now i put washers on each end thinking it would be ok.. but its not hahaha. 

so, im frugal (cheap).. i made a shift and oil light out of trailer marker lights.  i did this on my door car.  this is 9 LED light, it might not be bright enough but will see.  I have looked a little bit online at say 1157/1156 size bulbs and there are some out there. ill find another LED bulb that is bright and make some smaller diameter ones.  i probably have 10 bucks into each one.  they are 2" so a little big on OD.   I made the gauge pod and just painted it.  it wasnt really polishable and i was impatient making it to spend the time to sand and try to polish it.  i can get it powder coated down the road. 

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2019, 04:25:42 PM »
My buddy Jeff (its his motor) goes to put on the coil plug wire on the coil and the end broke off.  so he had to order another coil.  even though it hurts financially right now as we are both scraping to get it running its probably a good thing it happened. 

so he gets a new coil and i needed to make another mount.  the coil uses spades instead of o-ring connectors. I dont really dig the spades. sence there are a few wires going to the coil and not having an isolated post i figured i would use some plastic sheet i have laying around and sort of make one.  If this doesnt work ill break down and get some from vtec

here is pic of the motor, just need to put the blow-down vents on and few misc other things. 

i had to roll it out and put the vw in the back part of the garage.  i have to do some work on the vw so fig id put it in the back so make it easier to deal with the fed.

The chassis builder has to make me another fuel tank.  then i want to put a full body on it.  so that will be my task over the summer and maybe see about paint next year.  been thinking about what type profile nose to make for it.  eventually i would like to stick front wing on it and of course canards.

I have the stuff to do creaform pour-in seat. with any luck we will do that tomorrow.  Next week ill order some new skins for the back. I think im going to get the new Hoosier 33-15 x 15 stiff sidewall and see how that works.

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2019, 05:01:26 PM »
here is a better pic of the rear run stand. 

I made some lead bars this morning.  i work for a roofing company so was able to repurpose some flashing lead of tile roof. some of them are little tapered but i can re-pour them down the road if need be.  i dont know how much lead ill have to add so i made 70 lbs im guessing.  the mold by my calcs was 10lbs each bar.  i dont have a scale so ill have a freind weigh them. im guessing ill have to have at least 70lbs up front.  the two fire bottles im guessing weigh about 15lbs each?   the chassis is narrow up front so i might have to make them longer to get more weight if need be. 

wasnt really too bad doing the molds, used the burner at work that they use for soldering with and then got some map gas and put on the top side. once it melts, whatever you stick in goes pretty quick.  had to skim off the old paint from the flashing lead.  was kind of fun actually once i figured it out.

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2019, 06:12:31 PM »
Super nice build Dean! Hope the testing goes smooth!