Author Topic: new experiences - my 225" fed  (Read 34147 times)

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
new experiences - my 225" fed
« on: June 24, 2017, 10:48:36 PM »
debated whether to put a build thread and decided to do it for the mere fact of contributing to the forum. This is a great forum with lots of knowledgeable people and great experiences. 

new experiences is in reference to going into a completely new and unknown direction.   i have never had a domestic or v8 type vehicle other then my daily drivers.  i have always since early 80s been messing with old aircooled volkswagens and within the last 10 years getting deep into performance vw's.  i built a car to run in what is called pro mod within the vw world which is a headsup power adder class.  it was based on lb/cube setup but the rules as written are not fair and after years of ignorance of those in charge i decided to go a different direction to get wheel to wheel racing etc.  my car was a chassis car and i purchased it as a roller but completely rebuilt it with new tin, made changes to cage etc so my 6'4" frame could fit in it.  it was at one time the 7th fastest vw door slammer in the world at 8.67@ 162 mph w/1.31 60. but not many people are going to spend 60-70k on a vw to do that haha.  so, i have been around racing, i have done my own fab work, wiring, plumbing, deal/learn elec fuel inj, and with help of my buddy trans and engines.  i have learned a lot dealing with the vw over the years. i have pics if interested, just dont want to pollute the build with em.

so, i have zero personal experience going this direction but i know and understand what it takes.  i ask a lot of questions but thats what this place is for, to ask questions, learn, and contribute meaningfully regardless of the OP's choices or direction.  to that note, you may not like the direction MY build is going in and it might not be what you would do, what you feel is necessary, excessive, etc... but your input is appreciated as it might help others.  just dont get butt hurt if i do something and you have other thoughts as noted.

so, on to the build.   im building (having built) the chassis by Bill Comstock;  Bill and team run a A-fuel fed.  im hoping to get it within the next few weeks.. by mid July 2017.  diving into this was an impulse to some extent.  we took the vws down a few years to march meet and fell in love with the atmosphere etc.  my buddy steve has nitro vw fed that Bill built.  max length in classes is 225" so i decided to build it for few reasons.  one being  we may someday want to race a headsup class seeing how we have done this with the vws.

my buddy Jeff is the motorhead, i have the car, he is doing the motor.  the first thought budget thinking was to build a "whale' ( i think thats the term for early iron hemi's) and then to get better block, heads etc as they presented themselves.  we want to ultimately run 7.0 Pro but start in NE1 which we felt was achievable with the iron hemi.   well, Jeff just picked up a KB 426 hat to pan with littlefield 871.   he didnt dig the heads the guy had so he opted to do something different.  but, we have more then enough power for 7.0.

i picked up some weld magnums spindle mounts for front and 15x15 rears, will have dual 10lb fire bottles, will run stroud chutes, the rear housing is a mittler brothers, strange ultra case third member, strange 40 spline axles, strange brakes, Motec data logger dash, and BTE sportsman glide for now. i really wanted to do a floater rear end setup but didnt have the coin to pop for it considering all the other stuff to get.

ill get pics of the motor tomorrow, post up some pics of wheels, and trans.  thats about all i got though till the fed is done.

ty
dean

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:37:05 AM by noslin »

Offline noslin

• View Profile
Re: new experiences - my 225" fed
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 03:26:24 PM »
here is few pics of motor and blower. he will give the fuel system to Gene Adams, who lives here in town,  to flow/test.   

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:35:14 AM by noslin »

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 08:49:05 PM »
Very cool Dean....
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline cad500justin

• View Profile
    • Copper Cadillac Racing
  • Your Best Time: 8.24@164
  • Your Engine: 500" caddy
  • Your Track: sac/bako/sonoma
  • Your Vehicle: 208" fed
  • General Location: The Altamont
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 09:13:33 PM »
Bitchin! 15" rear wheels seem wide to me for a FED.

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 06:32:36 PM »
Bitchin! 15" rear wheels seem wide to me for a FED.

those are just rollers for now. but on tire selection, i dont know really where to start.  15'' does seem wide but at 200mph how wide is it, 10"  tire will grow prob 6" at 200.   maybe 5 @ 170? 

ill buy from summit or i might get m&h's. not sure yet.  M&H will at least get you exact tires and prob newer too then summits.  ill go to summit and have them measure all of them (whatever size i choose) to make sure they are close in roll out.

so, tire choices are all 33" tall, have hoosiers in 12, 14.5, and 15 inch wide from summit. and M&H in 12 & 14.5 inch to choose from.  other thing to consider is the compound.  have no idea what to get there. 

ty
dean

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 09:59:05 PM »
I have found that dragsters don't need a super wide combination to work, 33X12 on a 10" rim works for 97% of the cars out there

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 07:12:48 PM »
I run M&H fuel tires, either 12.00x16 or 13.00x16.  12.00 on a 10" rim, 13.00 on an 11" rim.  the 13 narrow up to 11 at 185mph.  the 13.00 is actually 12.25" wide.  More tire than that, and it's a royal bitch keeping the tire speed up, and tire shake becomes very real.
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »
Greg, as I remember it, you have been running the NTF tires for about 2-3 years, what kind of tire pressure and launch RPM is working for you ?
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 07:19:30 PM »
Made the move to the fuel tire about 8 years Jon. 12.00 for a few years, been on 13.00 for about 4 years.

as low as 7.5, as high as 8.5 

Launch RPM is about 5,000.  it varies with tire pressure & track condition.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 07:25:25 PM by gregm784 »
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline nostalgic371

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: tbd
  • General Location: socal
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 01:05:54 PM »
If the M&H 13.00's measure 12.25'' what do their 12.00x16's measure for width?

Offline arush

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Blown-Alcohol-Injected 427 BBC
  • Your Track: Thompson Raceway Park
  • Your Vehicle: King Chassis 160" FED
  • General Location: Pa.
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »
Width  11.6"
Section Width  13.6"
Diameter  31.5"
Circumference  100"

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 12:08:02 PM »
what kind of tire growth are you guys seeing. 4, 5, 6" 

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 01:27:41 PM »
By looking at tire vs body panel, i'm guestimating 4"
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 08:23:51 AM »
picked up the fed yesterday 9/3/2017.  so stoked to have it now.  now the fun begins for me. the build i think is just as much fun as going out and running it.  i guess because you have something to do, idk lol.  been kind of thinking about things over the last year of what i need to get etc and do.  now i can see some sleepless nights thinking stuff to order and to begin finishing it off.

i have to say, Bill Comstock is an awesome person.  He has done a bitchn job on the car and has been more then helpful answer any question i have, and as you can see in some (well all) of my post, i have lots haha. i also appreciate everyones input here as well. All said, im very happy with what Bill did for me and would recommend him for any fab, chassis, whatever you need help with.

anyways, here it is getting loaded up for the trip home.  have to say, it barely fits in the 28ft trailer with 26ft on the deck. have about 12" in front and a few in the back.  ill have to figure out which direction to load so its easy and the golf cart can fit, which i think it can. 

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 09:00:16 AM »
here is pic of motor with the new heads.  when Jeff got the motor, the heads the guy had were not good, they had a crack through the seat/port.  they were OG iron heads.  so, Jeff opted to pass on those and has been looking at options for heads.  He found that Edelbrock makes a aluminum head for the 426.  i think they flow like 420 out of the box.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/cylinder-heads/chrysler/victor-jr-bb.shtml

they are only 1300 each which i think is a great deal especially considering the options available on the market.  Jeff is going change the spring and retainers.  he will blend the seat to help the flow a bit as shown in this article. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/port-edelbrocks-hemi-head-38-cfm/ 

motor is just mocked up, Jeff is still acquiring parts to do the build on it.  he will get different valve covers.  this isnt the final, its just put together on the stand so we can sit back and be in awe while bench racing and postulating the future   ;D