Social > Your Builds / Photo Gallery

new experiences - my 225" fed

(1/18) > >>

noslin:
debated whether to put a build thread and decided to do it for the mere fact of contributing to the forum. This is a great forum with lots of knowledgeable people and great experiences. 

new experiences is in reference to going into a completely new and unknown direction.   i have never had a domestic or v8 type vehicle other then my daily drivers.  i have always since early 80s been messing with old aircooled volkswagens and within the last 10 years getting deep into performance vw's.  i built a car to run in what is called pro mod within the vw world which is a headsup power adder class.  it was based on lb/cube setup but the rules as written are not fair and after years of ignorance of those in charge i decided to go a different direction to get wheel to wheel racing etc.  my car was a chassis car and i purchased it as a roller but completely rebuilt it with new tin, made changes to cage etc so my 6'4" frame could fit in it.  it was at one time the 7th fastest vw door slammer in the world at 8.67@ 162 mph w/1.31 60. but not many people are going to spend 60-70k on a vw to do that haha.  so, i have been around racing, i have done my own fab work, wiring, plumbing, deal/learn elec fuel inj, and with help of my buddy trans and engines.  i have learned a lot dealing with the vw over the years. i have pics if interested, just dont want to pollute the build with em.

so, i have zero personal experience going this direction but i know and understand what it takes.  i ask a lot of questions but thats what this place is for, to ask questions, learn, and contribute meaningfully regardless of the OP's choices or direction.  to that note, you may not like the direction MY build is going in and it might not be what you would do, what you feel is necessary, excessive, etc... but your input is appreciated as it might help others.  just dont get butt hurt if i do something and you have other thoughts as noted.

so, on to the build.   im building (having built) the chassis by Bill Comstock;  Bill and team run a A-fuel fed.  im hoping to get it within the next few weeks.. by mid July 2017.  diving into this was an impulse to some extent.  we took the vws down a few years to march meet and fell in love with the atmosphere etc.  my buddy steve has nitro vw fed that Bill built.  max length in classes is 225" so i decided to build it for few reasons.  one being  we may someday want to race a headsup class seeing how we have done this with the vws.

my buddy Jeff is the motorhead, i have the car, he is doing the motor.  the first thought budget thinking was to build a "whale' ( i think thats the term for early iron hemi's) and then to get better block, heads etc as they presented themselves.  we want to ultimately run 7.0 Pro but start in NE1 which we felt was achievable with the iron hemi.   well, Jeff just picked up a KB 426 hat to pan with littlefield 871.   he didnt dig the heads the guy had so he opted to do something different.  but, we have more then enough power for 7.0.

i picked up some weld magnums spindle mounts for front and 15x15 rears, will have dual 10lb fire bottles, will run stroud chutes, the rear housing is a mittler brothers, strange ultra case third member, strange 40 spline axles, strange brakes, Motec data logger dash, and BTE sportsman glide for now. i really wanted to do a floater rear end setup but didnt have the coin to pop for it considering all the other stuff to get.

ill get pics of the motor tomorrow, post up some pics of wheels, and trans.  thats about all i got though till the fed is done.

ty
dean

noslin:
here is few pics of motor and blower. he will give the fuel system to Gene Adams, who lives here in town,  to flow/test.   

hemidakota:
Very cool Dean....

cad500justin:
Bitchin! 15" rear wheels seem wide to me for a FED.

noslin:

--- Quote from: cad500justin on June 26, 2017, 09:13:33 PM ---Bitchin! 15" rear wheels seem wide to me for a FED.

--- End quote ---

those are just rollers for now. but on tire selection, i dont know really where to start.  15'' does seem wide but at 200mph how wide is it, 10"  tire will grow prob 6" at 200.   maybe 5 @ 170? 

ill buy from summit or i might get m&h's. not sure yet.  M&H will at least get you exact tires and prob newer too then summits.  ill go to summit and have them measure all of them (whatever size i choose) to make sure they are close in roll out.

so, tire choices are all 33" tall, have hoosiers in 12, 14.5, and 15 inch wide from summit. and M&H in 12 & 14.5 inch to choose from.  other thing to consider is the compound.  have no idea what to get there. 

ty
dean

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version