Author Topic: Chute Deployment for First Timer  (Read 17300 times)

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
Re: Chute Deployment for First Timer
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 02:44:56 PM »
BTW, mine are Stroud 420-6 chutes (the 6 is the color, the 420 is the size). 
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »
Driving into the chute... can't really see what the difference would be between releasing it with the gas still on, and (very) shortly after letting off. 'Twould seem the drag would be related to the speed, and not to whether power still is being applied, being that acceleration, ACROSS the finish line is essentially zero? From the sensory standpoint as mentioned by the earlier poster that his friend gauges speed by parachute impact, I can think that timing the hit of the chute to coincide with stepping off the pedal would maximize that sensation but not be considered a "technique".
 I also agree that popping the chute for any spectator appeal is a good thing; I run my car at a track I could get it stopped reliably, (probably) but if anything unforeseen went wrong it would be too late by then. I got it bouncing on the brakes once, and found that banging the helmet against the cage is painful! I will bear the burden of packing it every time. Let the turnoff bystander beware.
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

Offline AF/434

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: .897-60', 3.43/ 231-1/8th, 5.30/270-1/4
  • Your Track: Royal Purple/ Houston Raceway Park
  • Your Vehicle: 421 cu. in. Injected nitro hemi rear engine A/FD run in NHRA Lucas central region
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 02:00:40 PM »
Hello Duster, we were one of only two Nhra A/F cars that I know of who actively licenced people in there car one of the things we teach is to drive with one hand and get your chute hand behind the lever to grab on the wat to the brake lever if something freaky happens to help get the car back under control I know from the experience driving a friends cars even just off the starting line when an axle broke and it kept me off the wall. What you are looking for is to be in the habit of pulling the chutes so as to hit as you cross the finish line to have the laundry out as soon as possible mainly for the short shutdown tracks. It is VERY IMPORTANT that when you get get off the throttle that you get on the brakes and DO NOT let off even when you feel the chutes hit as it wouldn't be the first time a chute hit and imediately ripped enough shroud lines to collapse. Only when you are sure you feel the car really slowing down with the chutes do you want to ease up on the brake to make it to the turn off. Letting off the brakes without the chute blossomed and tugging on the car will send the car bouncing badly from the stored energy in the tire from braking and loading the tire in the wrong direction I have photo proof of this as well.[lol]  You didn't say if you're running 1/8 mile on a 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile track but if you're on a 1/4 mile track and running 1/8 mile you can get away with just pulling at the 1/8th and hope it will coast to the 1/4 mile shut down but you would be much better off to be in just on habit or routine every time you drive as it becomes instinctive and autonomous to reactions. I hope this helps you and good luck.

Offline AF/434

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: .897-60', 3.43/ 231-1/8th, 5.30/270-1/4
  • Your Track: Royal Purple/ Houston Raceway Park
  • Your Vehicle: 421 cu. in. Injected nitro hemi rear engine A/FD run in NHRA Lucas central region
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 02:19:13 PM »
I'm sure a lot of you guys may know this but for those who don't some chute manufacturers actually make two lengths of pilot chutes and some others are longer than others the longest one you can use will be the best to help deployment.