Author Topic: Neil and Parks Shop visit  (Read 5352 times)

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Neil and Parks Shop visit
« on: May 14, 2017, 08:26:24 AM »
Well my sister moved from North Carolina to Denver--I said I would rive the moving truck IF I could stop at neil and Parks in Kansas on the way--We stopped in cold turkey on a Monday morning--WOW! We were greeted very warmly and welcomed in for full shop tour--a look at current projects--and they looked at photos of my car and were very complimentary--they were happy to answer lots of questions I had--and they remembered that I had ordered parts in the past as soon as I mentioned my name--Could not have been better--Nicest guys I have ever met in the racing industry---The shop would have impressed NASA engineers ( hey I bet NASA calls to ask them questions) Scotts machinist skills were evident everywhere you looked---These guys MAKE whatever they need.
I think the days of REAL racers like these guys are numbered due to all the NHRA rules that just do not reward the kind of effort they put forth--They described NHRA as "everyone gets a trophy--bracket race " and talked as if they would sell the car and walk away if a real buyer showed up--The Hemi car was an amazing piece of engineering--I was thrilled just to walk around it and look at the fantastic detail of every aspect---So we talked, got a T shirt, then hit the road--
What an honor! Great men doing what they love--nothing better!!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
Re: Neil and Parks Shop visit
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »
Good story, thanks for sharing it Dave.

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »
I’ll echo that thought, a couple of nice guys is right. Frank & Scott made my return to racing a while back a whole lot easier. Neil & Parks completed the updates on my altered this winter, fitting me in when they could. New welder/fabricator Steve Wilmoth and Frank did a great job of returning the car to the same pretty much original condition as it was when it rolled out Frank’s door new in 1999. They’ve turned out to be a great parts supplier, talented machinists and fabricators, as well as good friends.

Sometimes living in Kansas has its rewards, the picture was taken a couple of weeks ago as I drove about an hour from my house to pick up a control cable from an old fella and his son that live out in the hills of Kansas who have a tin building out by the pasture where they tinker on race cars:)

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 07:31:17 AM »
...nice site to build a drag strip

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 02:00:00 PM »
Frank and Scott are two of best people you will ever meet ! I met them both at Indy in 2001 and after looking at there car I knew right away that that they would be the ones to build my new FED ! It took over a year for them to start on my car but once they did Frank would call me every few days just to let me know how the car was coming ! The worst part about having them build my car was the long trip from Connecticut to pick it up but it was worth it for me ! I have raced this car for over 10 years now and it is the best race car I have ever owned and I have owned 6 dragsters in my life .

Offline H.G. Wells

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Mild 383 SBC or 498 blown BBC
  • Your Track: Currently San Antonio, past Amarillo, Ardmore OK, Noble OK
  • Your Vehicle: late 60's FED of unknown origin
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »
Two of the things I remember most were the pinstriping on the mills and drill presses, and the sign on the wall that said "I don't give a xxxx how they do it in California" Hope it is still there.

Two of the best guys in the sport. I learn something everytime I talk to them, and they just keep getting better.
Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 11:05:29 AM »
Have not met them face to face. Few phone calls and some parts ordered. Most after first call and half hour with Frank advising me on a build. I may be at 1500 bucks with them and  10 times that in advise. 

Maybe on next cross country ride I can ride by. We normally go thru Kansas anyway to put flowers on younger cousins grave.It just the other end of Kansas.LOL But then it was just Malibu and 3000 miles.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot