Author Topic: More wheelie bar questions  (Read 3967 times)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
More wheelie bar questions
« on: May 21, 2017, 02:05:24 AM »
I read lots here about folk hitting their wheelie bars hard and unloading their slicks. When or why did sprung wheelie bars become unfashionable?

dreracecar

Re: More wheelie bar questions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 09:08:50 AM »
Because racers being a creature of habit, will blindly do what others before them have done without question. I run spring bars. No transbrake, and weight on the front, no gages or tach, and still win races

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 09:28:29 AM »
This is a FWIW
I got the wheel and bar kit from N & P  made my wheelie bars unsprung   well for the longest time car would go straight, then not then left then right--I measured a dozen times from the edge of the brake rotor etc  come to find out
the holes I had frilled for sliding bar height adjustment were too sloppy--you could take the wheel and twist it  just a tiny amount either way--Redrilled all the holes so they are a PIA to get pin in and out and whammo--car straight as a laser every pass--NO play at all in the system---I used thin bars on top they give  a little flex--car runs great
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 08:12:33 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm going to go ahead and fabricate a simple pair of sprung bars as I ran decades ago. Makes more sense to me to have something to absorb any shock rather than transfer it to the chassis and so tyres. Cheers

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 07:22:03 PM »
Curious - what are everyone's thoughts are on single-vs-two wheel bars? I've used both and aside from the weight savings of a single (sprung) setup I've had success with both.