Author Topic: 6 point harness  (Read 4686 times)

Offline Larry Gocha

• View Profile
6 point harness
« on: April 05, 2017, 01:49:32 PM »
How does the NHRA want the double crotch strap mounted in the chassis NT/F can it wrap around the seat support or does it have to angle out to the lap belt attachment point.

dreracecar

Re: 6 point harness
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 02:25:09 PM »
Who ever came up with that rule--- never sat in a Front engine dragster

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 06:04:56 AM »
In the big show cars the crotch belts run back under the driver's legs and generally mount under the driver's arse cheeks ( bolted through the bottom of the seat).
 This is not a terribly good photo but if you look closely you can see the small tube structure mounted off the back of the seat cross member. The little triangular gusset plates in the rear corners of the mount structure are McKinney pieces and have a mounting boss for the belt at the small end

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 08:45:57 AM »
Mounted to tabs/structure underneath seat.

Next move is to test fit the ajustment and then remove the belts to give back to DJ and have the length/adjustment sewn in permanate so there is no need for the extra strap material and adjuster buckles and to replace the stick up12 point bolts with more comfortable button head fasteners.
 There is only one person fitted for this car, so any belt adjustment towards the mounting points will never be needed and the normal adjusters will snug the driver in place

Offline aafa760

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7:02 @ 196
  • Your Engine: Blown BBC 450 BAE 496
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 225 Frameworks 7.0 Pro
  • General Location: PHX AZ
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 03:20:20 PM »
Bruce
Man I could never understand how they will work in my old style Frameworks car where I am behind the Rearend not on top like new N-TF cars are made.
Bryan

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 03:35:20 PM »
The rule is a carry over from the rear engine rules, they put these things in to appease the insurance companys to make it seem proactive.

In 7.0Pro a stop collar is required on the steering shaft is case of a front end colision to keep the shaft from spearing the driver---WTH!!!!! , but not required in any other front engine dragster class rules including top fuel. Do you think that if the crash is sooooo bad that the engine-transmission-rearend come back that far to contact the steering box that a CS stop collar is going to do anything??

Offline rooman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 04:45:43 AM »
Bruce,
         many years ago (when there were still some racers at NHRA) Carl Olson would send me the draft copy of the new rule book and I would proof read it and weed out things like the stop collar on a front motor car. At one point the rules for the advanced e.t. motorcycles filled a page and a half and some of the stuff was totally bogus and unenforceable. By the time I got done with it it was down to the current single paragraph.
  Once Carl left, followed by Jim Skelly, I was out of the loop and they go blithely on their way with the sort of thing that you pointed out. You are totally correct about the 'appease the insurance company" situation which is the main reason for the 20 lb fire bottle rule in blown front motor cars. And even though  several drivers of big show T/F cars have been scorched by fires there is still no fire bottle requirement except in the case of an enclosed cockpit and then the minimum size is only 5 lbs.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline Larry Gocha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 11:46:12 AM »
Thanks Bruce and Rooman its crazy I know compared to a Fuel or Pro Stock bike safety wise.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 09:22:07 AM »
Larry,
         I actually liked the extra security of the (in my case) 7 point belt deal. I would much rather have the belts tugging on my upper thighs than on other parts of my anatomy in the case of an incident and my new wife (as of yesterday) would probably agree.  :)

Roo

Offline Larry Gocha

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 06:06:00 PM »
I'm all for safety Roo just wasn't sure how they wanted them mounted. Congratulations