Author Topic: 4 port questions  (Read 4733 times)

Offline L79_Acadian

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Just a little 355 Chevy
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: 2013,160" CenPen Speed Shop (Worm)
4 port questions
« on: March 31, 2017, 03:01:11 PM »
Hi Spud,
 I hate to be such a pain in the butt, but I am going to try this again. First off, the 4 port is going onto a 33 Willys gasser show car, running on gas. The motor is a .060 over 392 Hemi, with a hydraulic blower cam & a (5% over driven) 6-71 blower. I want to go with a more period correct setup on top of the blower, so I purchased a used short Hilborn 4 port. The spool in the barrel valve is a old #25. I also bought a bunch of parts from a toilet style system, that gave me 8, #14A 90' nozzles, a Enderle 80A.1 pump, a small barrel valve with a #54 spool and a bunch of bypass and pill holders. Now the questions, first off I took both spools out of their barrel valves and measured them. They are both the same length and diameter, so I put the #54 spool into the hilborn barrel valve. I also plan on drilling and tapping 4 additional holes in the Hilborn barrel valve to feed all 8 (14A) nozzles that I put into the 4 port. I plan on remote driving the pump to feed the 4 port.
 I know that mechanical injection doesn't work on the street, but this is more of a trailered show car than a driven street car, Will this setup work, and if so, any idea on where to start with the pill, springs, shims etc.?
 I know I'm a pain, but I am determined to get this project to work, with out resorting to a EFI system.
 Thanks again for your thoughts and knowledge,
  Roger

Offline L79_Acadian

• View Profile
Re: 4 port questions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 02:40:20 PM »
 Really, nobody else has any ideas n tis setup? I have a stack injected, on Alcohol, small block Chevy in my dragster. so I have messed around with mechanical injection. I'm just looking for someone with a similar setup to send some advice to help me get this started.
  Thanks all,
              Roger

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 09:27:28 AM »

Hi Roger,

If you're just idling it off a trailer or doing shows with it you can certainly set it up to do that well. In that case, the pill is mostly irrelevant...it's really only important if you're WOT. If you're using 8 ea. #14 nozzles, then I'd put a .100 main in it (things calculate out to be a .110 in 2000' air)

Use the #54 spool (it has a secondary hole and the #25 doesn't). Set the check valve on the secondary port (no pill) to about 7 PSI.

Set the main check valve (with the main pill in it) to about 5 PSI.

I'd set the butterflies to about .005" and the leak down to 40% and fire it up. Lean the barrel valve until you're seeing 400F or so on the exhaust. When you poke the throttle, it shouldn't bog or stumble. If it does either and you're not seeing a puff of black smoke when you poke it, then richen it a bit. If it acts poorly and makes a big cloud of soot, then lean it.

If you're getting a puff and it doesn't respond well, you might need to boost the pressure of both check valves a few pounds. I wouldn't do that unless you need to though or you could just end up fouling a bunch of spark plugs.

Let us know how it goes!
 Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 05:18:57 PM »
Really, nobody else has any ideas n tis setup? I have a stack injected, on Alcohol, small block Chevy in my dragster. so I have messed around with mechanical injection. I'm just looking for someone with a similar setup to send some advice to help me get this started.
  Thanks all,
              Roger

Most all the people on this board run Alc and the set-up is completely different for gas as to why nobody chimed in except for Spud

Offline L79_Acadian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 05:48:59 AM »
 Thanks Spud.
I did learn something last night. Hilborn barrel valves are hardened after they are machined. I tried to drill 4 additional holes into the side of the barrel valve to feed the back side 4 nozzles, but struck out. That thing is hard as heck.
 Spud, I will now have to go with 4 #28, 90 degree nozzles, do you have them for sale?
 Thanks again Spud,
   Roger

Offline L79_Acadian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 05:31:17 PM »
OK, as I said, I tried to drill the Hilborn barrel valve for 4 more nozzle lines. Didn't work, material way to hard, so I used the "Ron's" parts that I had, and came up with this. Barrel valve with a #54 spool, back to a 8 port distribution block. Out of the block to 4,14A nozzles on each side. I will use the other Toilet parts I have to finish the system, along with a 80A-1 pump.
 Any comments on this contraption?
 Cheers,
  Roger

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 06:37:54 AM »

Looking good!

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 08:25:02 AM »
Have you figured out the BV link and rotation? Throttle linkage?

Not that it mattered on a museum car I did, but to get the throttle linkage action correct matching detailed pictures, I had to flip the blades around and the BV rotated backwards to get it to work

Offline L79_Acadian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 06:32:23 PM »
  I think I have the rotation correct, but I will have to look again, to make sure. I am going to make some arms for the throttle shaft and barrel valve, along with the linkage too. I will get back to that project in a week or two, after I finish the A40 Austin.
  Roger