Author Topic: Shorty glide in my altered  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Wayne6464

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: None
  • Your Engine: 632
  • Your Track: Julesburg Co
  • Your Vehicle: 2000, peyton,. 135,
  • General Location: DenverE
Shorty glide in my altered
« on: March 28, 2017, 07:50:22 AM »
You guys seem to be split on running shorty in an altered. If I do,how much minimum play in yoke at trans? I have a ladder bar, coilovers set up. Drive shaft will be about 3'  I can add long tail housing but new planetary is expensive.
Thanks
Wayne
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:53:26 AM by GlennLever »

dreracecar

Re: Shorty glide in my altered
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 09:34:06 AM »
The shorty does not allow much movement and unless the yoke is cut down, it will hang out too far and not be supported properly, and in order to remove it (the driveshaft if its tubular), you will either have to pull/move the engine forward or move/pull the rear end back to get the rear u-joint out of the yoke.Or you can make your driveshaft a bar style, both front and rear inner yokes have female splines for the driveshaft and you use lockrings to hold in place. A tail housing style will allow 1" of slide, has a deeper ingagement and supports well so a standard tubular driveshaft can be used.

2 female yokes are $205 each and if the drive shaft is no more than 28" long another $150, over 28" and its $400 for the drivshaft. You are really close to $1000 (new parts) and over if the shaft needs to be longer
 I do have a MW 390035 yoke (roller bearing style) for sale if interested