Author Topic: Tim Jones's intro and Comp coupe Build  (Read 8957 times)

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
Tim Jones's intro and Comp coupe Build
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:31:20 AM »
Hi Everybody ,I'm Tim Jones from Panama IA , Grew up in Omaha Nebr,  Raced a few Dragsters when I was younger, got to work on a few Fuel cars in the 80's and 90's, been away from racing for quite a few years, In 2011 I decided to build an old style Dragster Running a Flathead just to go out and have fun with, started out as a 50's 60's style car but has now turned into a Comp Coupe,  My build is on the HAMB and here's the link for it   http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645702   I also am restoreing Tim Beebe's Fighting Irish  72 satailite  Funny Car but that one on the back burner for now, I just pick up a few pieces here and there for it,   Thanks Tim Jones

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
Re: Tim Jones's intro and Comp coupe Build
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 05:33:38 AM »
Here'a another shot of the car   Tim Jones

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:32:31 PM »
Hi Tim.  My name’s Alan.  See you have history at the track.  So not your first dance and you select fh power..... that is fun!  “Cool Coupe” welcome too.  DF   

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:16:02 PM »
Thanks Alan, I've been out to the mile highs a few times in the past working on cars,  A friend of mine Buddy Walker from out in your neck of the woods has a flathead cad powered bonneville car  Do you know him?   Tim Jones

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:32:29 PM »
Heard the name before, we travel different circles, never met him in person.  I went to Bonneville only once, 1998 for their 50th.  That’s actually when I first got into fhs after seeing/hearing them run on salt.

I have friend here, DW who may know Buddy and like him is regular at salt flats each August.  DW ran lakester with straight 8 Buick forever.  I think he been attending 40+ years now.  DW hasn’t run past 3 years due to technical issue.  His straight 8 gone a little past 180.  He has gone just over 200, “YEP” about 7 years ago when he swapped in fh (ardun).  He borrowed running fh from nice ole guy in Ocala, who has dragster museum there.  I think your friend’s cad flathead is broaching 200 mark….  or maybe passed it already.  DF

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »
I myself have never been to bonneville would like to go sometime tho, buddys car went 165 I think last year , but he wants to run 200, he's stepping up to alky then to nitro , I gave him some names of some nitro tuners I knew to keep him on track some what, , I worked for Clayton Harris and the Peek bros when they had their Top Fuel car together out there Also helped Lenny Soroka a couple times on his meadow gold AA/ funny car out there, Plus the mile highs was a regular stop for some of the fuel  and Alky Cars I worked for, I'm new to this flathead deal Tho , I got alot to learn, but like you say it's fun is there still a flathead asso, out in Denver?    Tim Jones

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 06:32:21 AM »
Clayton Harris, he had excellent taste, his first red car….. nice lines.  Early 70s was major history for dragsters, feds going to reds.  Lot of races had feds-reds running against each other.  During that transition, there were guys building new reds, and quite a few guys that were converting their feds to reds.  If you look at pictures from that era, there were many reds with half bodies, converted from feds.  Some tastefully done, some ???   but you do what you can with what you have.

Flatheaders of Denver, a vintage drag racing club is still “alive and well.”  We have been hosting the Flathead-Inline Nationals a long time.  It typically scheduled in June after Father’s Day weekend with Ford Fest car show.  Saturday is qualifying with 3 time trials, fun bbq after last time trial.  Sunday is race day.  We’re usually done by 3-4pm on Sunday.   Questions, please ask  : )

Our home track is Bandimere Speedway (beautiful facility, beautiful setting against the foothills, and most important, beautifully prepared track on race day).   We’re fortunate here to have the Bandimere family supporting us all these years, 2013 is their 55th anniversary.  John Bandimere Jr., his “heart” larger than any 10 guys I know.  DF

http://bandimere.com/services/trackHistory.php