Author Topic: Oil galley plugs on SBC  (Read 2498 times)

Ponti

Oil galley plugs on SBC
« on: March 01, 2017, 04:16:29 AM »
Hi Guys quick question about galley plugs.

Having read various books and threads I have seen that replacing the push in plugs in the front of the block with tapped plugs is a standard practice.

What I was wondering is has anyone tapped the plug under the rear main cap?  Is it worth doing or even possible?

Are there any other tricks or tips that any of you find worth while?

dreracecar

Re: Oil galley plugs on SBC
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 08:05:32 AM »
any time you use a NPT fitting you distort the material around it, so you would have to re-line the mains again.
 Dont over think things, the standard plug has worked perfect on thousands and thousands race engines, and the only failiers have been when people forgot to install them

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:22:39 PM »
I agree
Screwing around in a nice block with a pipe tap is just an open invitation to SCREW something up so you can sleep better at night? Don't do it  I have never ever ever had a drive in plug come out---Grumpy Jenkins used them --Good enough for me--Plus you run the chance of putting the screw in out front in too deep and covering the one oil hole--just no reason to do it
You would be surprised how much beginners do to a block and how very LITTLE a pro does to modify a block--Bores straight and round--bearings loose not tight and zippidy do da!!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Ponti

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »
Thx guys, saves time and money.