Author Topic: More questions  (Read 3747 times)

Offline L79_Acadian

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Just a little 355 Chevy
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: 2013,160" CenPen Speed Shop (Worm)
More questions
« on: March 14, 2017, 07:54:46 AM »
Hi again Spud,
Well I m still trying to gather enough parts to make this old Hilborn 4 port work on my mild, blown, street Hemi on gas (392, .060 over, about 8% overdriven, hydraulic cam) . I just bought a Ron's toilet system, without the throttle bodies. It came with 4 right and 4 left,90' 14A nozzles, a small barrel valve with a #54 spool, a couple of bypass holders, a quick jet holder and a Enderle 80A.1 pump (FIE860) and drive. I am wondering if this could be used in my situation? I was thinking of using 8 nozzles, and feed them from the back of the injector thru a distribution block. I could then use the single in and single out barrel valve from the Ron's setup. The setup also came with a box of springs, shims, pills and other small parts (30,35,40,50,60,65,70,71 Pills (hilborn)
.024,.028, .033, .044 springs
.188, .186, .187. .186, .033, .032, .031 shims
.015 spring X2.)
Sorry to be such a pain in the ass, but I'm new to this and am trying to finish this on a blue collar budget.
 Thank you again,
  Roger

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: More questions
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 08:37:05 AM »

Yup, the pump will work although it's probably a bit big for gas. Don't know enough details to say if the #14 nozzles will work.

Mechanical injection (especially GAS) never works good on the street. It is always a problem...too rich fouling plugs, too lean overheating and boiling over, always something that isn't right and causing a "less than wonderful" experience.

For street use, I'd stick with carbs or do EFI.

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 08:57:48 AM »
Most problems with Mech injection on the street could be cured with someone making a seperate  accelerator pump system to come in just before off idle

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:24:28 AM »

The butterfly to metering valve relationship is all over the place and generally favors air way too much. At partial throttle highway speed you generally end up with an AFR that is ridiculously lean. Speed up and it's even leaner. Slow down to 40 MPH and it's so rich it'll barely run. Endless fiddling and fussing with with things and it's never right. Changing the pill never seems to make the change you need where you need it at partial throttle.

Spud

Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:51:12 AM »
What if you added sleeves in the butterfly area and reduced the dia of the plates themselves to manage the air flow better?   

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 11:14:35 AM »

What would be great would be to have two of them stay closed and not open at all! :)

I've changed the angle relationship of the arms and made it much better. I slowed down the butterflies by making their arm more horizontal and quickened the metering valve by making the arm a steeper angle. It changed the opening ratio. Also made a long skinny slot in the metering valve and it helped cruise speed. But it was still crap and nothing I'd recommend doing.

Spud

Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 12:21:31 PM »
A friend of mine built a wall inside a big catcher to only allow air to be drawn through the center butterfly. This was in an EFI deal but still needed less air drawn into the engine

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 07:59:17 PM »
Most problems with Mech injection on the street could be cured with someone making a seperate  accelerator pump system to come in just before off idle
Like an Injectorator.  Still I think it would be hard to make alcohol tuned good on the street even with Injectorator and it gets harder with gas.