Author Topic: Where to Start  (Read 14962 times)

dreracecar

Re: Where to Start
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 02:13:24 PM »
1992 360 SBC on alc , direct drive and 2-disc clutch
concrete w/ vht could not get it to leave-- just bog
 9" wide tyre ,15# air and wiped the tire with a damp rag - helped, but not much
 Spent way too much time trying to figure it out , built a new car with a PG and never looked back
 It was done in the 60's because the track surface was just plain asphalt without any bite, Break the tires loose to get wheel speed and modulate the clutch to get it moving forward.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 02:22:33 PM by dreracecar »

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2017, 10:35:44 AM »
Dave Tuttle is another California chassis builder you might want to talk to.  A clutch nowadays means you have a 2 or 3 speed Lenco with reverser to go with it. A pedal clutch is even more rare in a FED, usually what you will find is a Crowerglide.  Also, with a clutch comes a lot more maintenance and needed knowledge.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »
Bruce Dyda knows what he is talking about and really doesn't need me to validate him. He has built a chassis for our driver Andy last year and will put the cage on at some point in the future.

I like Tuttle's cars, but good luck running him down and getting a finished product in a reasonable amount of time.

But if you want to start something in the middle here is a good start: http://www.racingjunk.com/Nostalgia/182827788/No.html?sortby=distance-nearest&page=2&categoryId=150&offset=14&from=category