Author Topic: Correct starting & shut off procedure of a blower motor  (Read 16120 times)

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
Re: Correct starting & shut off procedure of a blower motor
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 12:05:03 PM »
An old set that us to be the run plugs! My warm up and run plugs are the same plugs

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 01:38:17 PM »
Loving this thread, will be helpful for me once mines finished.

Just one question.  What's the difference between warm up plugs and race plugs?

We keep an old set for the first fire up at an event. Mark "pickles" the motor after an event if we are not going to run for a bit and we put the old plugs in so that we don't foul the race plugs with any oil that is still in the top end of the motor. Spinning it to get oil pressure (with the plugs out) usually does the job but the old plugs are a bit of insurance.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 02:03:36 PM »
Back when I used to run TAD, we used a set of hotter champion N63DR plugs as warm up plugs. Our race plugs were N57DR. The thought was that the hotter plug would bring the engine up to temperature quicker during the warm up because of the hotter tip temperature. Eventually we stopped doing that (for cost reasons and limited benefits) and our warm up plugs eventually became what Roo described above.

dreracecar

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 05:06:01 PM »
Installed a set of NGK B9ES ($1.79 O'Reilys) at the beginning of the season, ran them all year long, following season pulled and tossed in the trash, installed new ones

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 05:22:54 PM »
Loving this thread, will be helpful for me once mines finished.

Just one question.  What's the difference between warm up plugs and race plugs?

Apparently, Rich Man vs Poor Man.

Offline Draw 3D

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Blown Alky 406 SBC
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 1923 T Roadster
  • General Location: Arizona
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 07:53:38 PM »
Draw3D,
            all that coupemerc is suggesting is to get the oil through the motor before attempting to start it. We use exactly that procedure with Mark Vaught's 7.0 car. Roll the car out of the trailer and get it up on the jacks, pull the plugs and spin the  motor until we see oil pressure. Put the warm up plugs in and fire the motor--with the galleries etc primed there is sufficient oil pressure by the time the engine lights off the squirt bottle and then begins running on the pump. We then switch to the race plugs and fire the same way on the line. Once the engine has been spun to get oil pressure the first time each day there is no need to spin it for more than a couple of seconds to get pressure and it takes that long to light anyway.

Roo
I think he is using a block mounted starter like I am and a block mounted starter turns the motor at a slow rpm and pushing 60 wt oil takes more than a couple of seconds to build up pressure.

I have a pretty good starter and it turns the motor over at between 250 to 300 rpm, that means my oil pump, which is internal in stock location, is turning at 125 to 150 rpm and if you spin for a couple of seconds, it will see 5 revolutions and on my system, it will not buildup to any usable pressure.

I don't start my motor until I see at least 25 psi oil pressure, I would much rather have a dead battery than a dead motor.

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 08:28:58 PM »
I don't have it, but I like the idea of an oil filter head that can be primed with a drill. Peterson Fluid Systems makes them.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 05:14:51 AM »
Draw 3D,
              I understand what you are saying but we have been doing this for around 17 years with two different cars and have never had a bearing issue. Yes, we do have a blower starter but the original injected version of the motor that Mark ran for several years had a regular unit. As the current block is a former sprint car piece it does not have an internal oil pump so we have always run a remote unit and because of that our oil path from the pump to the bearings has always been longer, initially with a belt driven dry sump pump and more recently with an RCD front drive unit.
  When I spin it (with the plugs out) for the first time at an event it takes about 5-7 seconds to get full oil pressure (75+ lbs) but after that there are numbers on the dash by the time the motor actually lights at fire up. As long as the motor does not fire instantly at full throttle you should not have any problems.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 05:50:54 AM »
When we ran top alcohol cars.We would always get oil pressure firat thing every morning as soon as car was on jacks.Replace plugs wuth old run plugs that where warmup plugs.We would wait till close to run time if we had not pulled motor down and fire it up.Build some heat ,check for leaks,check vac at hat and bring it up to stage rpm.Shut everything down and we whwere ready to go for the day.
As for starting we pretty nuch did norm.Squirt fuel in hat,I would spin her over and pull mag wires a  after cpl seconds.Had another crew member feeding it till pump took over.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 06:51:09 PM »
The procedures are about the norm for starting an engine. We also use a priming pump with a one-way ball check valve and it helps relieve ware and tear on the starter and battery. One additional thing thing that we do save time and fuel is after starting the car up to warm the engine is cut the fuel shut off back some. This allows the engine to warm up faster. We also try to not wack the throttle during warm up as over time it may cause the crank hub to split (blown application).

Regarding oiling, we put a dry sump pump under the engine and prime it with a 18v cordless drill prior to our warm up procedure. We make our own pumps and with the sump pan there is a little of room to fit the pump between the rails. Not much, but some. Once the oil lines are filled you should have instant pressure.

The pump is hard to see in this photo, but it's there.

Offline 32bantam

• View Profile
    • SS3 Race Team
  • Your Best Time: 6.87 at BG 2013 aiming for 7.0
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: 32 Bantam altered
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 08:23:02 PM »
No one has mentioned preheating the oil on the first startup for the day.
Easier on the pump....gets everywhere quicker.
Steve Walczak

dreracecar

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 09:16:41 PM »
Some of us don't need to because it doesn't get that cold and the engine diaper act's as a jacket, only a concern of running fresh 70wt

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2017, 05:49:10 AM »
Draw3D,
            all that coupemerc is suggesting is to get the oil through the motor before attempting to start it. We use exactly that procedure with Mark Vaught's 7.0 car. Roll the car out of the trailer and get it up on the jacks, pull the plugs and spin the  motor until we see oil pressure. Put the warm up plugs in and fire the motor--with the galleries etc primed there is sufficient oil pressure by the time the engine lights off the squirt bottle and then begins running on the pump. We then switch to the race plugs and fire the same way on the line. Once the engine has been spun to get oil pressure the first time each day there is no need to spin it for more than a couple of seconds to get pressure and it takes that long to light anyway.

Roo
I think he is using a block mounted starter like I am and a block mounted starter turns the motor at a slow rpm and pushing 60 wt oil takes more than a couple of seconds to build up pressure.

I have a pretty good starter and it turns the motor over at between 250 to 300 rpm, that means my oil pump, which is internal in stock location, is turning at 125 to 150 rpm and if you spin for a couple of seconds, it will see 5 revolutions and on my system, it will not buildup to any usable pressure.

I don't start my motor until I see at least 25 psi oil pressure, I would much rather have a dead battery than a dead motor.

We use a basic Summit brand block mounted starter but crank it with 24 volts...gets oil pressure quicker as well as get fuel moving from the pump. Most of these starter solenoids are rated at 36 volts, if yours isn't they're easy to come by. The actual starter motor itself is happier because it sees less load. If you're cranking with two batteries and they're not wired in series it's well worth a try.

As for oil pressure, I crank it with the plugs out in the morning before first fire up. After that I give it about a 3 count of cranking then fire it. Oil pressure comes up immediately.

Offline nostalgic371

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: tbd
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: socal
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2017, 05:50:38 PM »
Just before  starting, should put a long ratchet in the top pulley a back the motor down to clear the cylinders just in case. Brings up another point, if you are using a block starter and not a blower starter, you should at least have the blower starter mount and drive dog installed. When the block starter fails, there is a chance to borrow the remote blower starter and fire the motor

I'm sure its never a bad idea to back a hemi or any other motor down, but how effective is doing it on a wedge type combustion chamber? Would turning the engine with out spark plugs be an alternative?

Offline rooman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 03:59:15 AM »
Just before  starting, should put a long ratchet in the top pulley a back the motor down to clear the cylinders just in case. Brings up another point, if you are using a block starter and not a blower starter, you should at least have the blower starter mount and drive dog installed. When the block starter fails, there is a chance to borrow the remote blower starter and fire the motor

I'm sure its never a bad idea to back a hemi or any other motor down, but how effective is doing it on a wedge type combustion chamber? Would turning the engine with out spark plugs be an alternative?

Exactly. On any engine where the exhaust valve is well above the bottom of the chamber (as opposed to a hemi where it is generally at the lowest point) spinning the engine with the plugs out is the best idea. This is especially critical on a fuel burning motor where any residual fuel may have a catastrophic effect.

Roo