Author Topic: versiitality of set up  (Read 4555 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
versiitality of set up
« on: February 20, 2017, 06:38:56 AM »
Spud,

After rereading artical on nitro on site.Seems my setup should be pretty versatile  for straight alky to 30 or 35%. No plans for running nitro mix every weekend,but for some show stuff.setup is.
 482 TFX-92 hemi
BAE fuel  heads
12.7:1 compression
296 at .050 cam with .800 lift
DSR pump at 6.8 gpm
Enderle hat with k barrle
.037 nozzles and around 130 main.
Mag 12 34* to 38*
4.10 gear 32 tall tire

questions: tuneup calculator calls for .012 richer which is also lot more pressure with .039 nozzles its same main.Better to change nozzles and keep pressure same?Figure no changes to leanouts this way.
             Have hi/lo valve body any benifit to high gear leave.Since hi only run cost about .5 thinking it would offset gains from nitro.Plus added heat to trans and converter not  great ,but if its fast so what.
          Anything that would make setup more versatile for changing from alky to aky/nitro and K.I.S.S. still apply?
             Just thinking or maybe wondering ahead.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:01:02 AM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: versiitality of set up
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 07:28:08 AM »

If the pressure increases to over ~130 PSI on a pass, then I'd put larger nozzles in it, otherwise I'd leave them alone. The only change I'd make to any lean outs is to disable them :) especially at first. Your metering valve percentage will change. Your timing looks ok.

Leaving in high gear will cancel all the benefits of nitro and will indeed roast things. At low percentages, I'd use that transmission!

Have fun,
 Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 08:44:09 AM »
is this engine blown or hat injected???

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 02:34:12 PM »
injected.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline msundstrom

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.45 @ 182 in 1/4
  • Your Engine: NA Injected 505 BBC on 45%
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Washington Coast
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 08:43:32 PM »
What you are running is very close to my combo only mine is BBC and 1 point less compression. I have run 2 different BBC combos and a 30% load tuneup has been the same as my straight methanol tuneups, 40% changes big time. It is fun!
Mark

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 08:55:43 PM »
Base combo performance numbers and what did you pickup with 30% load,other than big grin?

Offline msundstrom

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.45 @ 182 in 1/4
  • Your Engine: NA Injected 505 BBC on 45%
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Washington Coast
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 04:48:08 PM »
.3 seconds approximately and 40% an additional .2

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 05:18:33 PM »

The crew and I have discussed a few times what my car would do now on straight methanol instead of straight nitro. Lower compression ratio, low gear, rear gears, tight converter...it's heavier now too. It would be a quite a bit slower than back when I started with a typical methanol setup. I started in the 8.60 range. The consensus is we'd be doing 9.30's or worse vs. our typical 6.80's on 100%.

Hopefully, we will find out when my daughter starts driving it in 5 or 6 years. That's exactly how we plan to start out...0% and work our way up again.

Spud

Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 05:28:50 AM »
What would be the highest percentage with setup above.Maybe changing converter to makeup for eixtra torque.Figure bottom end is about as strong as going to get.Already running grp aluminum rods,KB billet crank,Heck same stuff TF ran for long time.Bjgget limit would be pump flow and shallow pockets.LOL

dreracecar

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 08:40:14 AM »
Back in the beginning of Nost A/F the rule was only the 80a (6.5) could be used for both types of engines either injected nitro or blown alc.  It was felt by the rules makers that this would even out the cars for close racing around the 6.90/7.00 range.  JC Constance could not get below 7.20 without back-sideing all 8 pistons running injected nitro with the small pump--- AND Gene Adams was doing the tuning

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 08:46:12 AM »
What would be the highest percentage with setup above.Maybe changing converter to makeup for eixtra torque.Figure bottom end is about as strong as going to get.Already running grp aluminum rods,KB billet crank,Heck same stuff TF ran for long time.Bjgget limit would be pump flow and shallow pockets.LOL

You could run up to 75% by just changing the pump and nozzles. Generally, around 40-50% will have you driving through a standard methanol-duty converter though and you'll need a bigger/tighter unit. At 75% you'll need it tighter again. If you have a compression ratio optimal for methanol (high) then 75% would not be wise. So, to do 75% you'd probably need different pistons too.

Spud

Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions