Author Topic: Any Torque Flight experts on here?  (Read 4604 times)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Any Torque Flight experts on here?
« on: February 18, 2017, 10:07:59 PM »
I want to speak to some one who's very knowledgeable on the TF 904 trans. I have lost reverse gear after changing from a Trans Go kitted manual valvebody to a Tranzact of Indy trans brake. Reverse is supposed to work with out engaging the brake but it's no where to be found ?

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: Any Torque Flight experts on here?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 05:29:26 AM »
They made lots of different valve body combos--we always use Turbo Action Cheetah on Mopars--TransAct used to have a better trans brake in the way back days but now the COPE, A&A ( same) are the better transbrake--for straight up manual the TA is by far the way to go--Try CRT--Cope racing Transmissions in Indy--he is straight up and buys all his parts from neighbor and 727 legend Rick Allison at A&A  He can set you straight and is trusted source here for all Mopar needs   I raced a 904 for about 10 years we used low gear set from smog era unit and always use the wide front band and drum--front band adjustment or rather keeping after it is the KEY to 904 success period! Always check converter when out they usually crack the hub at drive lugs--never worried about it in door car fix at end of year but in dragster eehhhh....We adjusted front band after two-three runs then checked it every few wk ends--
TransAct has crappy rep here in USA--
I bet you have a pro type that requires the button to reverse--try it
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 09:29:32 AM »
Have you tried putting 12 volts to the solenoid to see if it has reverse ?

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:36:34 AM »
If it work off the solenoid, then my guess is they sent you the wrong one.

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 08:42:52 PM »
Well I dropped the pan drilled and tapped a hole in the case, wired her up and bing a bing boom. Slip her in neutral push the button and reverse. Happy days.
Cheers
Tony

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 05:40:45 PM »
Hot dot!!

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 04:15:03 PM »
  I raced a 904 for about 10 years we used low gear set from smog era unit and always use the wide front band and drum--front band adjustment or rather keeping after it is the KEY to 904 success period! Always check converter when out they usually crack the hub at drive lugs--never worried about it in door car fix at end of year but in dragster eehhhh....We adjusted front band after two-three runs then checked it every few wk ends--

I bet you have a pro type that requires the button to reverse--try it

Hi Dave Interesting hearing your thoughts re the 904. I ran a 904 with a clutch back in the early 1980's and never did a minutes maintenance on the trans in 3 years with at least 10 meetings a year. This trans has been a nightmare from day one but I've persevered and I'm looking for the same sort of reliability from this now. I have seen the cracks you mentioned on the converter drive. Hoping it won't be to much of an isssue in a light car and yes he sent me the pro type which actually makes it easier for me to cut out a new gate for my home made shifter using N123 positions only
Cheers
Tony