Author Topic: Exhaust pipes, what to use...  (Read 8542 times)

Offline 1000hpJohn

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.70/154mph
  • Your Track: Norwalk, Milan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 8 sec. ElCamino
Exhaust pipes, what to use...
« on: February 08, 2017, 10:02:38 AM »
If I run my BBC in a fed, what exhaust setup options do I have that will work the best?  My heads have been worked on the exhaust side as well as the intake side.  Will zoomies give me more or less power and what length work the best for N/A application on gas?

Thanks

John

dreracecar

Re: Exhaust pipes, what to use...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 11:12:46 AM »
Zoomies are only for the cool factor on your app. Numerous companys make collector style that would work better

Offline olddiggersrule

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 10's in the 1/4
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: Renegade
  • Your Vehicle: Still shopping
  • General Location: Pacific NW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »
Now that John brought it up, my understanding was that collectors would make more power on "naturally aspirated" engines. Zoomies were for blown applications. Where does that put the injected motors?
Thanks

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 02:29:29 PM »
Injected is considered normally asperated since the air is drawn in by piston travel, and not forced in with a blower or turbo.
 Some classes require zoomies to keep the nostalgia look, other classes it is open

Offline 1000hpJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 03:16:42 PM »
Aaahhhhhh crap, that means I need to build another set of headers or buy a set :-\
I suppose I could cut up the set I just made for my Elky!!!! :D. Had a lot of hours on the headers at the flanges themselves...the transitions from head to flanges and 2" straights are darn near perfect!!!!

John

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 04:08:49 PM »
Get the car started and stop worrying about the small stuff, geeze wizz you are making it more difficult then it is.

Offline olddiggersrule

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 10's in the 1/4
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: Renegade
  • Your Vehicle: Still shopping
  • General Location: Pacific NW
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 05:20:09 PM »
Sir Dreracer I see why you are a "hero member".

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 06:38:53 PM »
If this was a complete new build, I and or others who have been building and racing these cars for the last 25 years can map out a direction to follow, but sinice this is a piece together deal, the approach is different, small steps starting with the car because it affects EVERYTHING else, what works for one thing , may not work for others,  there is not a perfect equasion to put one together, its a balance

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 07:37:41 PM »
I would not cut us the headers you have as a set of dragster collector header have a look and are very symmetrical.

Offline 1000hpJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 08:48:25 AM »
Dre,

Well, before I even touched my El Camino to began the conversion from a street puff to a drag vehicle, I had to make list's, and more list's and then more list's.....the rear axle had to be designed and built to what I wanted, so buying parts FIRST is what I needed to do with that component, same with the trans, headers, engine fitment, front and rear suspension and so on.  So in essence, everything we build either from scratch or a preexisting build needs to be done in stages.   Call me a cry baby if you want, but my minuscule amount of pride is large in my eyes as I built my junk by myself, ran it and hit an et without a lot of help.  Not bragging, just fact.

So, all that being said, the exhaust system needs to be thought out before the chassis as well as many other things before I get into a used chassis build.  I like to stock pile many but not all of my parts, then begins the project, that way, it won't stall and I won't loose interest waiting for more money to roll in.  It's how I roll.  Nothing worse for a guy to have a chassis in a garage and taking him 2+ years to get it built!!!!  I'm an impatient person and want my stuff yesterday, I'm high strung, and like a hand gernade with out a pin in it that everyone around me try's to put back in!!!  I work hard and play hard, sorry it is not at YOUR level but I have to start somewhere.

I am a fact finder before I do things, than I make my decisions...my apology if I ruffeled your feathers, you obviously don't know me as I keep everyone around me entertained at the least and always try to put smiles on people's faces.  Thanks for your concern also ;)

John

dreracecar

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 09:20:48 AM »
But you had your El Camino to start with before you sourced and converted it to a race car-- Im done here, got a F/C build that needs my attention

Offline cad500justin

• View Profile
    • Copper Cadillac Racing
  • Your Best Time: 8.24@164
  • Your Engine: 500" caddy
  • Your Track: sac/bako/sonoma
  • Your Vehicle: 208" fed
  • General Location: The Altamont
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 10:30:56 AM »
Run zoomies. You can find them regularly. It's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast. That's why you're building a fed and not a red. You can always put a blower on it later....
I imagine most of the dragster zoomies you find will be pretty close to optimal length, unless you're looking for that last .01
You could always buy a long set, and once the car is sorted out, start hacking an inch at a time until she slows down. I halfway wonder if the added weight of longtube collector headers would offset the hp difference of shorty zoomies?

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 11:01:12 AM »
An FED with collector headers is like a girl at the beach with long pants--Come on!! Zoomies are the only way to go
either build a nostalgia car or race a Camaro
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 11:09:05 AM »
Run zoomies. You can find them regularly. It's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast.

An FED with collector headers is like a girl at the beach with long pants--Come on!! Zoomies are the only way to go
either build a nostalgia car or race a Camaro

I like these guys!

Offline cad500justin

• View Profile
    • Copper Cadillac Racing
  • Your Best Time: 8.24@164
  • Your Engine: 500" caddy
  • Your Track: sac/bako/sonoma
  • Your Vehicle: 208" fed
  • General Location: The Altamont
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 11:18:28 AM »