Author Topic: What to look for when buying a used chassis...  (Read 13935 times)

dreracecar

Re: What to look for when buying a used chassis...
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 09:03:33 AM »
Old cars just aren't as well thought out, so things don't always make sense.
Although they sometimes look cooler.

I have had to deal with more design/failure issues with a "modern design" chassis verses a traditional designed and newly constructed one. There is no function superiority to either of them, it just comes down to the builders tooling and skill level on which design he choses to build. Old style cars are old from age and  material specs, not by design

Offline cad500justin

• View Profile
    • Copper Cadillac Racing
  • Your Best Time: 8.24@164
  • Your Engine: 500" caddy
  • Your Track: sac/bako/sonoma
  • Your Vehicle: 208" fed
  • General Location: The Altamont
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »
Old cars just aren't as well thought out, so things don't always make sense.
Although they sometimes look cooler.

I have had to deal with more design/failure issues with a "modern design" chassis verses a traditional designed and newly constructed one. There is no function superiority to either of them, it just comes down to the builders tooling and skill level on which design he choses to build. Old style cars are old from age and  material specs, not by design

Thanks for the info.

Offline 1000hpJohn

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.70/154mph
  • Your Track: Norwalk, Milan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 8 sec. ElCamino
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 12:59:34 PM »
Thanks for starting the thread John. I learned a ton with you, I am in a similar situation as I  have been shopping for my first FED. Unbelievably knowledgeable and patient posts from all of the contributors.
The biggest thing I am running up against is the majority of the cars I've looked at just weren't built for an NFL linebacker sized driver. The most important thing I have learned is that there is reasons for all of the bargain cars available and I will most likely have to really reconsider my budget.
We are still kicking our selves for missing out on few cars that were within a days drive but at same time very thankful now that we didn't hastily buy a few others that we would have most certainly regretted.

Well if you move to Michigan right away, we can pool our pounds of gold together and really buy a good one!!! Lol ;D ;D ;D. Have to leave now though. HahahahaAaa lol. My wife loves Seattle too but we can't afford to rent a room in that town!!!!!

Hey old digger ruler 8)
I am learning the feeling about this stuff as well.  Very nice knowledgeable people on here too!(hats off to you guys) ;).   Being bigger has advantages,  but not when it comes to a dragster or an altered...  I've always been partial to a 23 T altered but a 150" one myself.  Nothing against you all that drive shorter ones mind you...  and in my mind, it still IS an altered, anything OVER 150" is a digger ::).  Just bustin some chops is all, I love em all.

I would rather have a cockpit that I can rest my arms out on the doors like a 32 duece in American Graffitti, than have them mashing my kidney beans and gasping for air like a gold fish out of water!!!! Lol, no really! Lol   

So I guess I need to keep saving money and keep waiting for one to come by.  I'm not getting any younger so waiting will test my patience once again....not sure if I want to wait or get my Camino back to the tarmac.  Either way I think I will be racing this year or next...just hate waiting!! :-\

Anyone feel sorry for me yet????       Iiiiiii. Didn't think so :-[

John

dreracecar

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 06:10:40 PM »
An altered provides more room for "HUSKY" drivers, Built correctly, shorter wheelbase altereds drive just fine and those people that say they dont, you need to stay away from those people.

Offline olddiggersrule

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 10's in the 1/4
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: Renegade
  • Your Vehicle: Still shopping
  • General Location: Pacific NW
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 06:23:14 PM »
1000hpJohn, Have you considered this car in Michigan? http://www.racingjunk.com/Nostalgia/182800881/FED-178-VERY-FEW-PASSES-FRESH-.html
I frequent this ad because the pictures looked like he keeps it in his living room, or maybe he just moved his living room into the garage.
On a more serious note I would be very interested in hearing any expert first thoughts on an ad?

Offline 1000hpJohn

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.70/154mph
  • Your Track: Norwalk, Milan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 8 sec. ElCamino
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 07:37:04 PM »
Actually I was just looking at that rail a few hours ago.  I asked if they would sell as a roller.  I like the looks of it but I would like to try a 190-200" in length. Nice piece too.

Offline LZ

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: In progress
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2010 225" S&W
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 08:26:17 PM »
Hey John saw this and remembered your post ..
Don't know if this works but try this linkand look under Tim Irwin..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/392779410904610/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf
 :)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 09:19:41 PM by glennadmin »
"I am not a number.... I am a free man."