Author Topic: Front tire pressure  (Read 5004 times)

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
Front tire pressure
« on: February 02, 2017, 12:41:38 PM »
I have a set of Weld AlumaStars 17” x 2.25” with Goodyear Front Runners on my altered. Car weighs 1600# with me in it and won't go quicker, for now, than 170mph. What should I be running for tire pressure?

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
Re: Front tire pressure
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 01:42:38 PM »
Well Roger it depends on the weight of your car on the front end, the more static weight, and if you have a front wing putting down pressure on the tires, the more tire pressure you need to support that weight. I would say 40-60lbs of pressure, and make sure you always have vavle stem caps.  With wire spoke wheels the stems are in the center of the rim and can depress the valve stem core and let some air out at speed. I don't know if your Weld wheels have a stem in the center.
NTF run 50-60 lbs, and Big Show TF run 80-100 lbs, it's all about keeping the tire from flexing the sidewalls and building heat.

Good Luck with your altered, I assume you are having more fun with your altered than your JF

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »
No wing on the car. Just noticed the tire was low this morning while rolling the car into the chassis shop, it's been sitting on stands for a while. So, I haven't had any fun with it yet. As to if I'll have more fun with it that the JF car, I'll be able to race it more often as I won't need any help to run it so I suppose I will have more fun. But I have to tell you Jon, and don't repeat this to anyone; driving a JF car with a dependable crew would be my first choice and greatest desire. But then that's just between you and me:)

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 04:02:15 PM »
Hi Roger, good to hear from you again.  Are you going to race SHRA, if so what class ?  Or are you going to run just dial-in brackets ?
Good Luck this season !
Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 07:05:21 PM »
Thanks Jon, hope you guys have a good season. And hope you guys score some luck too.

I saw the SHRA schedule and the closest race to me is Noble, OK. This year it’s scheduled Apr. 15th, that’s earlier than last year and the street rod motor I’m putting in first won’t run quick enough. The race motor will follow soon. So my goal this year is to get as much seat time in as possible and learn this car, it's been 39 years since I've driven a center steer altered. There’s plenty of opportunities around here. From my home in Manhattan, Kansas, there are 4 tracks within 2-1/2 hours of my house and at least one of the tracks will have an event 31 of the 35 possible weekends from April 1 through Nov. 1. There’s also going to be several nostalgia races included later in the season. Racing is alive in the Midwest! I’m getting pumped.

You may know already there is a JF car for sale in Tulsa. I visited with him this evening for a while and he is in the same place I was, no help with the car. The car runs well and has a lot of good equipment on it.

Roger

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 10:21:15 PM »
Roger, I wish we had 4 tracks with-in 2 1/2 hours, Bakersfield & Fontana are 3 hours from us, everything else is 6-80 hours tow.
I don't know of the JF car for sale in Tulsa. I see on SWJFA Briggs car is for sale but that's in LA.
Have him call or Email with details, jchansen60@gmail.com, 800-624-3803, I like to keep track of FED's for sale because I talk to racers all over the country
Send photos of your altered.
Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 06:43:22 AM »
The JF car is in Ponca City, OK, not Tulsa. My bad. Will send you a PM.