Author Topic: floater spindles  (Read 4873 times)

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
floater spindles
« on: January 27, 2017, 07:59:40 PM »
been looking at floater spindle setup for rearend. doing some search found out Moser makes a setup.  its about 1k plus less then new MW and strange.   i'd say its comparable to the Strange setup based on bearing dia.   the MW uses a bigger inner/outer bearing.

here is one of the kits http://www.moserengineering.com/part-ff4050-moser-full-floater-kit-assembly.html

comparison chart http://www.darkside.ca/node/195

if you were starting from scratch and if there was a possibility you might run headsup class in the future its only about 1k more to do this at time of initial build.

dean

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
Re: floater spindles
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 02:27:28 AM »
My car has floaters on it. One issue I had was the caliper mount was held on with 6 1/4-20 flat head screws. After a couple stops the bolts would stretch and the mount would be loose. I drilled and reamed two more holes on each side and drove in solid 1/4" pins and never had the problem again.

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 09:36:31 AM »
if you are building new and have the funds(or close to it) most deffinatly use a floater, saves from having to spend more money later on, You dont need the dual caliper mount , a single works just fine

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 08:05:07 PM »
learned to day the Mosers use 11.5 dia rotors so youll need 16" wheels. 

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 09:40:13 PM »
Were you planning to use bead locks???

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 05:12:16 PM »
not right now, i was hoping to put the floater setup on even thought not needed.  already have 15" dia. wheels too.  not a big deal.  but, if someone has 16" wheels this is excellent price considering Strange and MW is considerably more.

Offline cdafoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 09:04:32 PM »
I'd recommend calling Frank Parks at Neil and Parks.  He got sick and tired of both Strange and MW discontinuing floater parts and forcing you to buy a whole new setup, so N&P are building their own now.  Plus they designed a bunch of improvements over the "other guys" units.  Pics of them are on their Facebook page but you'll have to call for a price.

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 07:47:10 AM »
Last month while picking up some parts at N&P Racing I examined the new floater kit parts cdafoe mentioned. As usual, a machining masterpiece by Frank and Scott. Scott is one of those rare individuals that can look at a need and instinctively come up with a workable and innovative solution right on the spot, then whittle it out of billet. And he has a great sense of humor:) Frank mentioned that every part would be available individually for many years to come. Being able to get individual repair parts if needed at a later date is something to consider.