Author Topic: injected sbc hard to start  (Read 5085 times)

Offline 421Altered

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.09 in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: alky injected 421sbc
  • Your Track: Adel, Ga.
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
  • General Location: South Georgia
injected sbc hard to start
« on: December 10, 2016, 08:34:58 AM »
I'm a newbie to this site, but, I have checked all posts and can't find anyone having the problem I'm having.  Here it is, I've got a 421 sbc injected alky altered.  After I shut it down in the staging lanes, then when restarting, it revs up to maybe 3000 rpm, then immediately slows down to about 3-400 rpm,  it just barely runs, then, it will come up on the pump and run fine.  I think that my idle check valve which is set to 2psi is maybe leaking fuel past it because it's at the very bottom of my tank which is at the bottom of my chassis.  Can anyone help me with this?

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
Re: injected sbc hard to start
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 12:15:32 PM »
Welcome to the site it is almost like already know you. Mine does not start easy and I built a primer system to help it. Turn on primer pump for a few seconds, hit starter and it starts but idles high until it comes on the pump. Then the RPM will drop and I shut off primer pump.

Offline 421Altered

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 03:15:05 PM »
Bruce good to see you here!!!  It's not like that.  If i prime it any at all, it just blows white smoke out collector's till it finally fires up like I said above, rev up real high, then drops way low, you think that its gonna shut off, but, then it comes up on the pump. You ought to see the expressions of the people in the staging lanes when it cranks up!!  I wonder if I shim the idle check valve to say 4 psi.  Would that cause any other problems?  It's a Bird on a Edelbrock tunnel ram, with a Enderle cube, #30 flowed nozzles, a 1/2 DSR belt driven pump.

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 08:18:48 PM »
2 lbs sounds a little light. 4 should be better. I've been as high as 7. You will need to adjust the idle mixture (barrel valve leak down) after raising pressure. It sounds a lot like how mine starts if Im not priming it.

Offline 421Altered

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 07:36:56 AM »
Thanks to Curley and BK for your replies.  That's the info that I'm looking for, I'll try that next spring when I drag it back out.

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 06:32:50 PM »
I'm going out on a limb here and saying your fuel tank is lower that the pump and fluids will always seek it's own level. Which means the alcohol level is below the pump and must be siphoned back up to the pump. The engine will start with what is in the cylinder and fuel line, but it will run lean. The engine will slow down due to fuel starvation and will run normally once the pump siphons the fuel through the vane and into the injector.

A priming pump is a good idea to alleviate that problem (not to mention less strain on the starter and battery. 7 to 9 lbs. of spring pressure is ideal on the idle bypass.

Keep having fun.  :)

Offline 421Altered

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 07:10:51 AM »
glofria, Thanks for the reply.  My fuel pump is as low as I can get it, and still be above the lower chassis tube bottom.  So, the fuel pump is actually lower than the fuel level in the tank.  Thanks for the info on how much pressure to use in the idle check valve.