Author Topic: Turbo Shaft Question  (Read 4004 times)

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Turbo Shaft Question
« on: December 08, 2016, 10:54:16 AM »
Hello Dan
Thanks for your time--I am having a used converter freshened and built for my dragster--it was PG spline so am update to Turbo spline--question--is it normal to just do bushing in support for shaft or have bushing in converter?--are they interchangeable--are those shafts different? How much is a decent shaft from you--I am slow injected so don't think I need anything other than std turbo shaft  and...when cutting clutch piston for added clutch room what is normal amount removed--planning on stacking some 060's in there   THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
Re: Turbo Shaft Question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 01:02:59 PM »
Dave How much are they going to charge you to upgrade your converter ? You could just change your input to a powerglide spline . I still run a powerglide spline on mine running 7 teens and have not broken one yet . Of coarse I just jinxed my self by saying that ! Don't go too crazy with high gear clutches 6 is all you really need . too many will slow you down ! I am going to try 5 in mine this year !

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 04:16:44 PM »
i've built PG's with both never had one break the ones with turbo shafts had bushing in the torque

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 06:37:07 PM »
Good question. Im assuming you have a turbo shaft with bushing in the stator support now. If that is the case I would just buy a PG shaft and go. As far as where to put the bushing in a turbo shaft application, most are in the stator support. When running a turbo shaft without a feed hole the bushing is removed from the stator support and moved to the converter. This is the proper way to do it, but some just take it out and let the converter turbin "float" on the input shaft under the thought it will center its self once the converter spins. There is some truth to that belief. As far as the drum goes a stock piston will take 7 clutches and steels when using .060 thick parts. So machining of the piston is not needed. Make sure your sun gear flange is smooth as you will have a clutch against it in this stack up configuration. A TSI 4340 shaft is $99.  Plus shipping to your door.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 06:30:56 AM »
I have been twisting the PG splines so am having my spare converter swapped over to Turbo spline while getting it adjusted to my new engine combo--I had not bought a front pump yet for my trans so I was really asking was it better to have bushing in the pump or the converter--If in the pump then do I need a shaft that has oil passage? The trans in car now has bushing in support but...has PG shaft that does not even touch the bushing--Dan I will call you and get a shaft and whatever else I need when time comes--Looks like I will go bushed in the support so my two PG's are the same  I had aftermarket PG shaft but it twisted last one a lot--it did not fail but was only matter of time--I put another shaft in but have not checked it again--I will see when I do engine swap soon
Thanks for the input--maybe I just had a cheapo ebay crappy shaft 
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 10:16:15 AM »
I have a Hy-Tuff input shaft  (non-turbo spline) that I can let you have for $50

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 04:06:01 PM »
I prefer bushing in the stator support. Just let me know and I will get you hooked up.