Author Topic: 4 port hilborn parts.  (Read 5917 times)

Offline L79_Acadian

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Just a little 355 Chevy
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: 2013,160" CenPen Speed Shop (Worm)
4 port hilborn parts.
« on: November 13, 2016, 09:20:13 AM »
Hello again Spud,
 Well I received my 4 port Hilborn, so now I know what I have and what I will need. The Hilborn has a square barrel valve with a #25 spool in it, and that's about it. I will make some new lines out of stainless tubing, but I will need nozzles, and a few by-pass valves I guess.
 This is going onto my street car, a 33 Willys with a blown 392 Hemi, on gas. Its a mild motor, not a race motor. So you already told me I would need a -1 pump and #28 nozzles ( only 4 nozzles being used).
 Now for the questions, would the #25 spool in the barrel valve work in my situation? I also have a Enderle bug catcher with #52 nozzles in it now and I also have a set of #48 nozzles too. Would I be able to just buy some Enderle nozzle holders and use the nozzles I have? I also have a few Enderle pills.
 Thanks for the help again,
   Roger

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: 4 port hilborn parts.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 03:59:09 PM »
 Sorry for the slow response. I saw this early one morning and then forgot all about it. I thought I was all caught up!

The #28 nozzles you need are basically .038" in diameter. The #28 is a Hilborn number that means they flow .28 GPM of fuel at 30 PSI.

Enderle nozzle numbers are the diameter. So, your .048 and .052" nozzles are way too big. You could get nozzle bodies for the 4 port and then also buy four .038" nozzle jets to go in them and be pretty close to running #28 Hilborn nozzles. The Hilborn nozzles will be much more closely matched and that's what I'd recommend unless you get someone (like FIE) to flow match a set of four Enderle nozzle jets for you.

I had never heard of a #25 spool, so I checked into it and found out that the #25 is the same as a #56 rotor except that it doesn't have a secondary hole in it. Yikes! A #56 has a .312"wide slot in it and that is huge. Too big for gas. You mentioned that it's a mild blown application (not a racer) so I'd recommend a #57 which has a .100" wide slot. Also, I definitely think you want a secondary hole (the #57 has one) to help dump fuel at an idle or it'll load up terrible on you. If you were racey or had a bunch of blower overdrive, you'd probably want to go with a #54 spool instead (.187 slot).

In a Hilborn system, the pills are a "drop-in" style and they go in a "main" check valve set to 3 PSI or so. Your Enderle pills are likely a screw-in type and meant to go in a metering valve pill location or a pill holder fitting. Not sure how you're setup there, but you may need drop-ins and not the Enderle pills you have.

Spud
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 04:02:57 PM by Spud Miller »

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline L79_Acadian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 04:13:23 PM »
Welcome back Spud. As usual, we all can count on you for help with our ignition and injection problems.
 As for my parts, I will get a spool and 4 nozzles from Hilborn, I will also need a primary and secondary bypass holder, some pills and springs too, I guess. I will keep this system all Hilborn, and leave the Enderle parts with the bug catcher. I have a Enderle 80A.5 pump, that's been flowed,5.29 @ 4000rpm free flow and 5.07 @4000 @100PSI. Do you think this pump would work for my situation?
 Thanks again,
  Roger

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 04:24:12 PM »

Sure, that pump would work fine. The pill size I recommended in the previous post would no longer work however. If you're already on the phone with Hilborn, get their recommendation.

Good luck!
 Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline KeithDyer

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Wichita Raceway Park - Wichita Falls
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 11:00:04 AM »
MAKE SURE and pin or set screw (or some other way) secure the Hilborn arms to the shafts.

Wish I had a nickel for every time I saw a Hilborn slip the arm on the shaft and the motor tune is gone.

FWIW, Enderle makes a splined shaft that will fit the 4-port Hilborn with only slight elongation of the butterfly holes.

We put an Enderle BV on our gasser and it worked out great . . . .

Take care, K

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 05:48:31 PM »
I have some sad news. Keith Dyer has passed away. Do not know the details but he was a good guy and will be missed.

Offline L79_Acadian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 06:39:07 PM »
No Curly, Keith passed away, WoW. That's to bad, lost another great guy