Author Topic: front tires for RED  (Read 4491 times)

Offline mrmopartech

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.82 1/4
  • Your Engine: 451 moparRB
  • Your Track: napierville dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 1988 rear engine dragster
  • General Location: montreal quebec eastcoast
front tires for RED
« on: November 08, 2016, 08:13:46 PM »
Looking for a pair of 22 x 2.50-17 front tires in new condition or slightly used,or a place for a great deal on the tires,Mrmopartech/scott

Offline Bill Nims

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: none
  • Your Engine: sbc mfi 355
  • Your Track: MoKan Drag strip
  • Your Vehicle: 183" FED
  • General Location: Mid West
Re: front tires for RED
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:27:52 PM »
Try S&W about $40.00 each

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 08:56:46 PM »
Go into Jon's wheel house and post there he can also supply them for you

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 06:32:14 AM »
S&W sells same tire everyone else sells for double call them for best deal on the Kenda--good units! get new tubes while you are at it
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 11:15:29 AM »
S & W Racecars is a good company, Hayden sells front wire wheels to them and Kendas when they are out of stock, and S&W is a JrFuelDragsterAssociation sponsor. S&W is currently selling the Innova brand, 2.25x17.
I recommend the 2.50x17 Kenda rib tires when the front end weight is anything around 500 lbs, because the load rating on the 2.50's is higher.
As far as front tires on a RED, I had one experience at last years Hot Rod Reunion, a RED cackle car asked me for some wire spoke wheels because it would be right for the year it was racing. The only wheels & tires I have made up at the track was 2.25x17, on 1.4 wide rims,and he said it would OK because they were not racing it, but I did say if they were going to push start down to the start line to make sure they had at least 45-50 lbs of tire pressure, because RED have more front end weight than FED. Well, of course they did not check tire pressure AND they ran the car for 1/4 mile and around 900-1000' the tires went flat, and when he pulled the chute it really beat-up the wheels, again because of front end weight and low pressure. I built him another set of wire wheels with 40 spoke 1.85 wide 17" Akront, with GoodYear Front Runners. They are now match racing their AA/FD. 
Another point is I have replaced a front runner tire on a N/TF car because it was chunking, when I asked the team about tire pressure, he said he had 35 or 40 lbs, but he also had a front wing on the car putting even more down pressure on the tires. After I installed a new GY tire I told him he needs at least 55-60 lbs with his combo. Big Show TopFuel guys run 80-100 lbs of pressure, again because they run big front wings putting 2500-4000 lbs of down force.
I hope this helps.
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels