Author Topic: 22 amp MSD conversion [from C.T. 12 amp]  (Read 2987 times)

Offline alkyal

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Quaker City/Dragway 42
  • Your Vehicle: Not a Driver-Nostaliga AA/FD
22 amp MSD conversion [from C.T. 12 amp]
« on: October 29, 2016, 07:32:54 PM »
Spud, I help with a FED Dragster. Good 427 engine with a SSI  Std Helix 6-71. The pump is the mandated Waterman 19.2 gal max pump [actually not legal per NHRA Tester in Caif.] Flows a little over 20 gpm per his test. When run with the above named 22 amp mag-NO Hi Speed. The Engine does not perform as well [drops cyls on top end]as it does with the large Enderle Pump. That pump we know is weak@ best. My question is, Do we have enough Mag/Coil for this much pump? Fuel pressure @ nozzels is up around 160 PSI I come from the old days when we ran 2.5 amp Vertex mags with a 12 gal Crower pump. Thanks Al

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: 22 amp MSD conversion [from C.T. 12 amp]
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 11:28:10 AM »

Hi Al,

You didn't mention how fast you're spinning the blower (how much boost?), compression ratio or what you're burning (just methanol?). I think you're probably just drowning it with fuel. Systems typically go rich at the top end. What bypass pill(s) are you running?

I assume from your description you're running a Pro-Mag 20? If you're drowning it, no amount of mag will help. If your spark plugs aren't showing any heat yet, then I think you need to lean it a bit until it stops dropping cylinders.

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions