Author Topic: Food Tip since we are all Grilling and Chillin waiting on Cooler weather  (Read 6447 times)

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
I live in the South --we have had 90 days of 90 degrees and with the humidity--it ain't been racing weather--but..it is great for cooking out and living large so here is a tip
For years we have been using a great Costa Rican condiment called LIZANO SAUCE--get from egay unless you live in Florida--they use it like ketchup--we use it on anything !! It is a green, veggie made, TANGY, spicy not hot sauce that makes anything from fries to you name it taste wonderful, killer on pork etc  This is really crazy good stuff and cheap off Egay  Try some for something real different--
OK back to lashing those valves!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Re: Food Tip since we are all Grilling and Chillin waiting on Cooler weather
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 02:08:09 PM »
Awsome. I now refer you to my thread "Didn't see this coming" LOL

Offline LZ

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: In progress
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2010 225" S&W
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 06:26:31 PM »
Howdy Dave:
In case you wanted to make your own  ;)

Glenn just a thought. But this site could use a general BS section to keep OT stuff. Just a thought.
thanks for all your work Glenn  Spud and Roo.
 8)
LZ
Lizano-Style Costa Rican Salsa
makes about 2 cups
1-2 dried chiles, such as guajillo
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 small yellow onion
1 4-inch piece thick carrot, chopped
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon unflavored vinegar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons fine salt
2 teaspoons molasses
2 teaspoons all-natural powdered vegetable broth base, optional

Remove the stems of the chiles and then slice the chiles in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and fibrous connective material attaching the seeds to the chiles. Pre-heat a 6-8-inch cast iron or stainless steel skillet over medium heat. Lay the chile pieces in the pan and toast, turning after about 2 minutes. Add the water and lower the heat to bring the water to a simmer. Simmer for about five minutes. Remove the chile pieces from the pan and place in blender. Measure out 1 cup of the chile-infused water and add this to the blender with the chiles.

Add the onion, carrot, sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, molasses, bouillon if using. Blend until smooth. Taste for seasoning.

Sauce will keep in refrigerator for up to two weeks.
"I am not a number.... I am a free man."

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »

Glenn just a thought. But this site could use a general BS section to keep OT stuff. Just a thought.

Three thoughts

1) It is kind of nice not to have general BS, I suspect that monitoring that thread might be a big headache.

2) We have a thread call "Drag Racing"  its sub title states "Please use this Board for topics other than Altereds, FEDs, REDs, or Gassers"

3) What would you call it? Would you be willing to be the Moderator.

If there is truly interest I could set up a Board in the Social section

I was thinking of weeding out "Bikes" "Door Cars" "Electronics" "Junior Dragsters" "Six Cylinder Drag Vehicles" "Tow Vehicles"

Thoughts?
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline LZ

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: In progress
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2010 225" S&W
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 07:24:38 AM »

Three thoughts

1) It is kind of nice not to have general BS, I suspect that monitoring that thread might be a big headache.

You know best Glenn thought it may help but maybe not

2) We have a thread call "Drag Racing"  its sub title states "Please use this Board for topics other than Altereds, FEDs, REDs, or Gassers"

Probably would have been best place for this I guess the drag racing just throws off my little brain

3) What would you call it? Would you be willing to be the Moderator.

I don't have any suggestions Again just a thought don't be mad at me. Im just a princess and wound easy. :'(
I don't know if I could help but will talk to you when I see you.

If there is truly interest I could set up a Board in the Social section

Glenn just thinking what could make it easier for you

I was thinking of weeding out "Bikes" "Door Cars" "Electronics" "Junior Dragsters" "Six Cylinder Drag Vehicles" "Tow Vehicles"

With public interest in Drag racing waining Not so sure how much you could subtract topics. But some of them on the board haven't seen action in quite some time. To be perfectly blunt when you told me about this site back when I got really excited. Its hard finding a common interest on this topic. Where else could you find a collection like this?  I know since this board started I don't ever go looking for this topic at Yellow Bullet, HAMB or others anymore. In fact have not looked at these other boards at all for awhile :)
I believe there is room for this board to grow with like minded people. Theres more front engine dragsters out there not on this board.  We all have to do our part to pass on one of Glenns cards and talk to people we see. One thing I hear when I tell people about this site is " Oh great another board to watch, I don't have time".  It would be a shame to see Roo and spud pull the plug on this site .  Cant imagine they are seeing any ROA for this. So with that I say whole heartedly thank you to Roo , Spud , Glenn, all the others  and all the people on here. 

Thoughts?
Just Peace and more nostalgic drag racing. ;)
"I am not a number.... I am a free man."

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:56:05 AM »

Again just a thought don't be mad at me. :'(

I'm not mad.

I take suggestions well.

Glenn R. Lever

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 05:28:38 AM »
With the amount of down times at some races,which normally turns to eating time for some.I think a track food section would work on most racing sites.I have few quick prep recipes that I use for track food and most are grilled.Most of mine are venison based,but guess you could use old nasty cow meat in a pinch.LOL
Now as for gilling out because its too hot to race.That means its too hot to stand over open fire sweating over food too.IMO  Then I am not a fan of heat in any form,especailly after working in heat all week.

Maybe food section would avoid the problem with bs associated with open forum for general. Most everyone on site is pretty cool about keeping BS to a humor style of fun anyway.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 05:57:25 AM »
I am willing to try it, what would be a caught all title?
Glenn R. Lever

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 07:08:03 AM »
From Glenn - I was thinking of weeding out "Bikes" "Door Cars" "Electronics" "Junior Dragsters" "Six Cylinder Drag Vehicles" "Tow Vehicles"

Thoughts?

Glenn – not sure why I’m thinking about food.  Like a restaurant’s menu, non-sellers are soon removed.  Difficult to keep items with no customers.  Nothing wrong with adapting to keep pace with needs, especially if it benefits the Business-Moderator.  Alan

p.s.  Be easy to use the Drag Racing category for catch-all, it already exists.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 04:56:16 PM »
Tail gating is part of the track adventure--My wife does my  "catering" at races we attend and you would not believe the friends we have made over some good eats --her tenderloin biscuits make crew help / pit neighbor space challenges / etc  --NO problem!  all part of the great experience --
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development