Author Topic: High low valvebody  (Read 7067 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
High low valvebody
« on: February 03, 2015, 07:22:19 PM »
 Getting ready to finish glide for FED.Valvebody and torque conveter are remaining itmes. Looking at two options.One is build vavle body using kit that comes with transbrake.Have done half dozen or so no issues,

Option 2 is high low valvebody.Allows me to leave with transbrake in either low or if track conditions caLL  for it I cam leav in highgear to help with bad track condition or need to slow car down for class. Does cost twice as much roughly 200 bucks more.It would basically be another tuning tool. Not sure how much it would come in handy,but buying once is cheaper than buying opt 1 then going to opt 2 later.

Wondering if anyhere have used high gear leave.If have used high low valvebody. Thoughts on them?
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
Re: High low valvebody
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 08:09:49 AM »
We have played with high gear leave. While i dont have one of those valvebodies we do launch off a 2 step and we set the shift 100 rpms higher so it goes into high right after the brake release. Our results for a 2300lbs door car was going from 5.90s to 6.40s in the eighth. The car ran pretty consistent only problem we found was their not much middle ground. Bumping the shift up but staying under the stall speed didnt speed the car up much at all. So going with a high low set up you pretty much just have the two options. But in the case of a blower car with testing a guy could find a high gear combo that would run the same as the low gear combo with blower over drive and fuel curve. For those of up with out that option its pretty much and on/off switch. in the gas comp classes you could use it to drop down an index if you just cant quite get the one you normally run (because of weather or track conditions) and be right back in the hunt. Im sure staging would have to be different (deeper) .

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 04:06:37 PM »
From the info I have gotten. 60' will drop some and et about .5.Stage is same but due to slower 60 I would have to know where to set delay box to keep a decent light. Using lockout in delay box will keep it from causing possible issue if hit down track by accident. FTI said it is lot easier on clutches than shift to hogh right out of hole. Only draw back I have found so far is cost and thats only 200 bucks extra.When you figure what it cost to play this game anyway it small price for extra tuning option that could save the day at crap track.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 11:57:22 AM »
Yes when using a delay box your staging wouldnt change, and after a few hits to get the box set you would be ready to the make the change at anytime and be close. Using the lock out feature of the box would be a must with type of valvebody. For sure it is easier on the high clutch pack to leave in high rather than quick shift, however we were just getting data with a customer to see how his car reacted and what his difference in staging would be as he is a bottom bulb racer. Once a racer has data it becomes a great tool. I have seen guys switch set ups between rounds just to make the guy wonder whats up, or the race has run late and the dew comes in. With as much as we spend $200 is small change.     
So collect lots of data so when the time comes to use the option you will be ready.

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 09:45:47 AM »
I'm looking to slow my reaction time down about .130. Any ideas as to how much leaving in second might add? Right now the car 60fts 1.20-1.21.
Also is there a way to determine if the brake in the trans is a Pro Tree or Full Tree?

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 10:02:47 AM »
When first running may car I tried high gear leave vs. low gear  --Car runs steady 5.60 with low gear and steady 6.0 with high gear launch  amazing how consistent it does  High gear leave is boring in my car though   
I think if I was going to let a friend try my car the high gear leave would be the trick for letting them get a pass in an FED without any drama--it calms the entire deal right down
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 12:52:35 PM »
That is very good info to have. Thanks for the update.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 04:19:34 PM »
I'm looking to slow my reaction time down about .130. Any ideas as to how much leaving in second might add? Right now the car 60fts 1.20-1.21.
Also is there a way to determine if the brake in the trans is a Pro Tree or Full Tree?
[/quot

I believe Greg at FTI said he had to dial .04 out of box  to get light to be close to low gear leave.FTI now sells a hi/low billet valve body I think price is about 500 bucks.Its on my to get later list which is growing everyday.

Offline racerken

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.76 1/4 mile (FED)
  • Your Track: State Capital Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Baton Rouge La
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 06:53:13 AM »
BK I think Pro brake requires you to engage the trans brake button to back up.  Sportsman brake you can back up normally in reverse without engaging the trans brake button.

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 08:35:19 PM »
In most cases that is correct. Most pro brakes require the solenoid to be applied to engage reverse, most standard brakes dont.