Author Topic: FED short body build?  (Read 9869 times)

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
FED short body build?
« on: February 15, 2013, 05:49:18 PM »
Roo what was your first body build was it a disaster or come out good?  I am not sure about that part of my build and besides it will be the most seen part I'm kinda scared of it :-[ Any body wanna share pics and maybe some input on that part? I love the chute-pac but my car won't look right with it!

Thanks
    Randy!

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: FED short body build?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 08:58:27 AM »
The body deal is not that hard to do. My first stuff was not anything to write home about but that was nearly 50 years ago. I will have a look in my photo files and see if I can find any instructive pix.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 09:42:22 AM »
I think I posted these else where but here is some panel builds by Roo Man

Bewley's Garage, 220 Park Drive, Plainfield, Indiana, Carey Bewley did the paint work and his e-mail is careybewley@yahoo.com and phone number is (317) 372-2244.

This is not the finish, but getting close

More can be seen on my web site http://www.leverfamilysite.com/2010_Front_Engine_Dragster_Root.htm

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:44:38 AM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 05:21:42 PM »
I may have to get Roo to come to Ala. ;) Go ahead and rub it in Glenn ;D

Randy!

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 06:28:25 PM »
What a beautiful car... inside and out. I hope to see it in action one day.

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 06:32:38 AM »
Blind Mule – 999 (my dragster’s name) was my first time working with sheet metal in 2011.  I just went to arts & crafts store and got 10 sheets of large poster board, it bends real easy and was 50 cents a sheet.  I just cut and taped the poster board to the chassis until I liked what I saw.  I got the poster board in a few colors, I wouldn’t do that again.  I would just use white poster board as it is the least expensive and provides the easiest contrast on your eyes, it reflects light well.   Don’t be in a hurry here, as you think on it, you will change your mind.  Some changes because you’ll come to conclusion it’s easier to make aluminum do this way versus that way…..    or due to dzus fastener locations.  Having your buddies come over for a looksee, that’ll make you modify your cardboard panels a lot more : )

For the aluminum, I got 0.040 thickness, size was 4x8 feet, one sheet cost $70.00 in 2011.  I thought I would make a few mistakes learning, and at $70.00 a sheet, pretty cheap in case I have to redo my panels a few times.   Well, I lucked out, went slow, real slow and my first set of panels, I was happy with.  I found out for the flat panels, it is okay to cut them to exact size the first time.  I left extra just in case to trim, and found out was unnecessary and just made twice as much work.   Buy one of those electric shears, they work great.  I just practiced a couple long and curvy cuts and was ready to go.

When you go buy and pick up your panels, take 2 sheets of plywood so you can sandwich the aluminum panel between for loading in back of your truck.  If you just set the aluminum panel back there, and drive on the freeway, it will blow around and get damaged.  The 0.040 gets dents and scratches real easy.  It comes with a protective plastic film on it, just be careful, the dent or scratch will end up right where you don’t want it……   

Glenn - Roo Man's bodywork is "First Class."  I enjoy seeing cars in that state of finish...  during construction more than the final product : )    DF

Offline bud

• Thanks for the Memories
    • View Profile
    • Buds-Motorsports
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile =7.32
  • Your Engine: SBC
  • Your Track: Closed now MAR. KCIR.
  • Your Vehicle: FED,RMD..
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »
Blind Mule – 999 (my dragster’s name) was my first time working with sheet metal in 2011.  I just went to arts & crafts store and got 10 sheets of large poster board, it bends real easy and was 50 cents a sheet.  I just cut and taped the poster board to the chassis until I liked what I saw.  I got the poster board in a few colors, I wouldn’t do that again.  I would just use white poster board as it is the least expensive and provides the easiest contrast on your eyes, it reflects light well.   Don’t be in a hurry here, as you think on it, you will change your mind.  Some changes because you’ll come to conclusion it’s easier to make aluminum do this way versus that way…..    or due to dzus fastener locations.  Having your buddies come over for a looksee, that’ll make you modify your cardboard panels a lot more : )

For the aluminum, I got 0.040 thickness, size was 4x8 feet, one sheet cost $70.00 in 2011.  I thought I would make a few mistakes learning, and at $70.00 a sheet, pretty cheap in case I have to redo my panels a few times.   Well, I lucked out, went slow, real slow and my first set of panels, I was happy with.  I found out for the flat panels, it is okay to cut them to exact size the first time.  I left extra just in case to trim, and found out was unnecessary and just made twice as much work.   Buy one of those electric shears, they work great.  I just practiced a couple long and curvy cuts and was ready to go.

When you go buy and pick up your panels, take 2 sheets of plywood so you can sandwich the aluminum panel between for loading in back of your truck.  If you just set the aluminum panel back there, and drive on the freeway, it will blow around and get damaged.  The 0.040 gets dents and scratches real easy.  It comes with a protective plastic film on it, just be careful, the dent or scratch will end up right where you don’t want it……   

Glenn - Roo Man's bodywork is "First Class."  I enjoy seeing cars in that state of finish...  during construction more than the final product : )    DF
Something like this :
Bud

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 05:46:48 PM »
Bud - exactly how I remember.  Then you pull template off chassis and lay flat on sheet of aluminum and cut out pattern.  Then start bending the big curves and work to the small ones.......   

If you continue, someday you'll be right there chasing Roo and trying to pass him : )   How Roo does the more complex is "artistry" in motion.  Or is that form follows function?  DF