Author Topic: New to site--Help me ID my FED  (Read 8745 times)

dreracecar

Re: New to site--Help me ID my FED
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 06:09:40 PM »
Definitely a home or private build
 When you say "have some fun with it" what do you mean???
  If you plan to make some passes, the first thing would be before investing time and money would be to get NHRA to look at it to get tubing dia. and wall thickness, It will not pass spec as is , all you want to know is what you have and then go from there.  Other than Eagle Field which is a no-prep asphalt surface. that rear end will not hold up to a heavy blown engine, compound tires, concrete & VHT. and stock axles and drum brakes are really not the best.
 If the goal is to strip it down and restore it towards the era it was entended for, show it at car shows and cackle events, then by all means go for it as is and enjoy.

Offline Flatcad2901

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: NA
  • Your Engine: blown 392 and Blown 1940 Cadillac Flathead
  • Your Track: BONNEVILLE
  • Your Vehicle: 38 chevy and 60s 130" digger
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 06:53:22 PM »

There is no way I would try to run this, I know the chassis is well used and too old, some of the joints were brazed and the old coat hanger welding. I will just do the restore and Crackel/car show stuff and have fun.  Thanks for your concern !!!! 

Don

dreracecar

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 07:26:26 PM »
I am having more fun with my cackle dragster then I had the last few years with the race car

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 05:24:55 AM »
I am with Bruce. Definitely a do it yourself car. It also looks as if it may have had a wheelbase stretch at one stage judging by the bends in the frame rails towards the front. As Bruce said, clean it up, put a stylish three point cage and body on it and cackle away.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.