Author Topic: starter recommendation  (Read 4587 times)

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
starter recommendation
« on: September 17, 2016, 09:20:38 AM »
looking for a good starter recommendation. hi torq please.   16v system, power glide, bbc

ty
dean

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: starter recommendation
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 10:05:18 AM »
Avoid the cheapo China stuff usually $69 range --get a $100 plus range from Summit etc that has a warranty you will be fine just avoid the cheapo units--no need to spend $200 on one--The trick is this--spin engine Then hit the mag or ignition switch--do it that way and you will never have issues--take time to shim any starter you get up right--the depth engagement needs to be corrected and set right--easy as pie just follow instructions or Youtube it
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 11:59:20 AM »
If you are running a blower, then go with a blower starter or at least have the drive and starter mount on the blower when the block starter takes a crap and you can borrow one that you should have bought in the first place

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 03:37:33 PM »
I ran a TCI starter on my injectected SBC and later when I switched to blown from 1998-2013 hitting the starts with 24v I changed have he starts drive around 3 times in all those years. The only reason I changed to a blower starter is because I put a late model Hemi in my car for a season........

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 07:49:35 PM »
can you guys help educate me a little on flexplates.   only dealt with vw's and have never built a v8.  so, on summit searching for starters its asking for flex plate teeth.   is that totally arbitrary with whatever you want to use to some extent?  i get down to 168, 153, 139 teeth.  is there that much adjustment with the starter to accommodate all those teeth options?   

i have changed starters on a few cars in the past that i have had.  you just tell them year, motor, etc and you just final shim accordingly.  so, say for BBC there are those many options?  i can only imagine the 139 teeth is prob 1" smaller OD ?

motor is looking like its going to be a merlin or dart block 509 or 540 depending on what crank is used. 

btw, if you anyone needs info about aircooled vw just let me know hahaha..

ty
dean

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 01:46:53 PM »
Most of the after market starters have 2 sets of holes for the big and small ring gears . I use a 168 tooth flex plate but I don't think it really matters .

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 03:55:36 PM »
Over the years we have had good luck with MSD starters, but I'm not certain if they make a 16v version.

We also have another car at our disposal with blown BBC and 16v system and the starter used in that car is a Meziere. Have had no problems that I know of. And they are based in California too.  https://www.meziere.com/

I highly suggest buying a 153 tooth (externally balanced) flexplate. Depending on if your car is a dragster/altered or a door car, you want to be certain that it will fit within the frame rails.