Author Topic: Chassis heights  (Read 3651 times)

Offline Luke

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: None
  • Your Engine: Bop 329ci with rootes blower on methanol
  • Your Track: Santa pod
  • Your Vehicle: BB/FA TOPOLINO
  • General Location: Yorkshire
Chassis heights
« on: September 16, 2016, 07:24:49 AM »
Hi, I'm putting a new chassis in my altered, it's an altered slingshot type chassis. I'm looking for a ride height like the old altereds like the magic muffler and mondello or similar. Can anyone tell me roughly how much clearance there should be under the bottom chassis rail? So I can position my axles.

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
Re: Chassis heights
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 06:05:32 AM »
Luke – maybe try rephrasing your question.  If you like the looks of Magic Muffler and Mondello, perhaps ask if anyone knows the wheelbase and size of the wheels and tire diameters on those two cars.  Plus rear racing wheels came in different offsets, I think back then 3 to 4 inches was common. 

Once you know that information, it makes mocking up your chassis with “all” other components so they fit and work together much easier.  Sometimes, just having a part (e.g. wheels) for setup answers questions, like ground clearance.  I would guess in 95% of the components, form follows function.  When you have completely mocked up your topolino for the umpteenth time with “all” your parts, you might just surprise yourself that it resembles the look you are after.  Alan

Offline Luke

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: None
  • Your Engine: Bop 329ci with rootes blower on methanol
  • Your Track: Santa pod
  • Your Vehicle: BB/FA TOPOLINO
  • General Location: Yorkshire
Re: Chassis heights
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 08:05:22 AM »
Thanks Alan, I appreciate your help and advice. I have a good idea you're exactly right, that it will just come Unexpectedly whilst I'm mocking it all up and I step back and it is just right.