Author Topic: Burnout  (Read 12388 times)

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
Burnout
« on: September 09, 2016, 09:35:17 PM »
reading the Powerglide Transmission Handbook they were talking about burnouts.  they recommended starting out with small ones and increase to come up with what your car wants concerning tire heat.

i think/know as the day goes along the track is hotter and i imagine ?? you would do a shorter burnout.

so, do some of you guys just burnout till it feels good or do you actually take a methodical approach and get a certain tire temp or shoot for one? 

what is a tire temp you would shoot for?

ty
dean

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
Re: Burnout
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 10:46:24 PM »
I just hit the throttle and let out sometime!

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 09:34:53 AM »
Paul said it all. Let her rip !

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 10:39:43 AM »
Never raced against a Powerglide transmission handbook before.
Todays track surface and prep only require the tire to be clean for adheasion, Burnouts are more for engine temp control, stuck in the lanes for a bit , and you might need build some heat in the engine during the burnout, because they are not going to let you sit behind the line waiting for heat to build while the other guy has the top bulb lit.
Raced a guy that was known for doing full track BO's, waited to fire (WB guy yelling at me to fire) untill the the guy was comming back. fired, and BO to about 300', started to back up at the same time he was next to us. Both cars left hard and hooked up. ZERO difference in 60's, the only difference is that he does not pay for his own tires.
The name of the game is consistencey (ZERO CO$T) what ever you do it the same every time

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 04:09:11 PM »
Rookie question: always in top gear, right?

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 05:17:30 PM »

Yes!

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 05:34:46 PM »

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 07:18:17 PM »
Yes, high gear always. This how we do burn-outs, and why; I have our driver pull thru the water box, and just out of the water, enough so the tires are still wet and stop, [stopping will make for a better smokey B-O], until I give him the signal to go. Be carefull there is no water after the water box, ie stop out of the wet, but hopefully with the tires still wet. Don't burn-out past the tree, and get out of the throttle if the tires hook up, it's not so good for the converter to dead hook the slicks. If one of the reasons for the B-O is to heat up the tires, a long B-O will cool the tires coming back.  I look for burn-out tire temps to be at least 10°+ above the track temp, that's why the B-O tire temp as we are backing up will vary. One thing I do is use a kids sidewall chalk to mark [X] on the  B-O track, so we will be alot more consistant  backing up in the B-O track, and we back up almost to the wet, so if we don't get the car on the mark [X] I can give him the signal on how much to move over, as his his pulling into the stage beams. Also the driver has enough room to test the transbrake as he's coming up to the stage beams.
Another thing I have used is when the track is HOT, like over 130°, make shorter B-O, & I have him back-up next to the B-O tracks, the track is already too hot. Which means I line-up the B-O off center of the grove. 
I hope this Helps,
Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 09:13:50 PM »
Never raced against a Powerglide transmission handbook before.

thanks for the humor if thats what it is....  i'd figure the keyboard would be to easy so i thought i would try reading a book;  it even has pictures which right my ally.   Nevertheless, this is all new to me and even though i just did turn 54 i still thought it to be a valid question. im trying to read, ask questions and learn and obviously there are others in the same boat. 

i had no idea on burning out in high gear either.  i know on my trans in the bug, we would do 3rd and 4th gear b/o and also would not burnout till it grabbed for similar reasons (bad for the gear or hub).

Another thing I have used is when the track is HOT, like over 130°, make shorter B-O, & I have him back-up next to the B-O tracks, the track is already too hot. Which means I line-up the B-O off center of the grove.   

50/50 or completely adjacent to b/o track?     

concerning testing the transbrake, before staging, just put it on the brake i take it and hit the limiter?

what would be the desired engine temp range.  how long does it usually take your motor to build temp.   if you are sitting in the lanes for some time, do you still wait to roll out of the stage lanes and then light it up or would you light it up in the lanes say a car ahead?    i can see on a nitro car waiting till the last second as if they had to shut down they would be screwed..

everyones responses are helpful, ty for the input.

ty
dean

Offline Draw 3D

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Blown Alky 406 SBC
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 1923 T Roadster
  • General Location: Arizona
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 10:57:15 PM »
For me, I found that driving thru the water box a slow speed keeps my burnouts from going crooked.

Also, I hit the throttle to raise the rpm's fast then taper back when I feel the slicks are spinning, and, immediately lift when I feel them start to grab, still remember the days of ballooning a converter.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 08:54:47 PM »
I know it is not needed, but always been a fan of a smokey burn out
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 04:43:42 PM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 03:59:12 PM »
For me, I found that driving thru the water box a slow speed keeps my burnouts from going crooked.

Also, I hit the throttle to raise the rpm's fast then taper back when I feel the slicks are spinning, and, immediately lift when I feel them start to grab, still remember the days of ballooning a converter.

That's how we do it.

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 06:57:23 PM »
I start mine in 1st and shift to second as soon as tires start to spin and let up before they grab. I was told starting out in second can be tough on the clutch pack. And staying in to long tough on the sprag.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 08:58:52 PM »
Start in high and stay there, no shift, get out of it before the tires grab, it should take very little throttle to spin the tires, note the blades in the bird catcher are barely open and I do not have a lot of power (I am a 8.000 second 1/4 mile dragster, top speed is usually around 165),

The first shot is the very start of the burn out, and the scond one I have move 50 feet down the track, and still the blades are barely open. You should not have to use much throttle to spin the tires.

Both shots are of the same burnout
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:03:53 PM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 03:29:53 PM »
With todays tires and track prep a long burnout is just extra abuse on engine and tires burned up quicker.Bad part a big someky burnout to half track is freaking fun as all get out.I loved burnout in the alky car.Roll thru water roll into throttle and burn till your heart was content or billfold was bitting at your butt.

Limiting burnout with this new deal is something I will have to do not what I want to do.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot