Author Topic: tranny cooler  (Read 5217 times)

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
tranny cooler
« on: August 28, 2016, 09:57:14 AM »
was looking at FTI website this morning and watched a few of thier videos.  one of the videos he talks about his 'pump around system'.  im guessing it cycles the fluid through the torque convertor.

in the video he talked about getting the fluid temperature down, making it more consistent in later rounds etc.

does anyone run this type of setup.  how have you seen the ET"s change as you go rounds. 

http://ftiperformance.com/how-to-videos/

ty
dean

dreracecar

Re: tranny cooler
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 12:51:33 PM »
The only ways to cycle fluid out of the converter is to physicly drain it or while its running and flush a lot of fluid thru it.

I you are going round after round as in a big buck bracket race then a fan cooled cooler is a must, otherwise a cooler is a waste, I would rather keep the motor cool by not running it between round instead of makeing heat just to change tranny fluid.

Good fluid stays consistent going rounds as long as time between runs, But late in the day when you pic up your time slip and they tell you that they need you back in staging for the final round, Not much you can do at that point

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »
There is a system out there that I know of the hook into the valve body the does pass fluid through the converter, and the cooler. It requiers you drill and tap the valve body for fittings and putting a hole on the right side of the case so the small internal pump can be driven by an external electric motor.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 07:25:48 PM »
Yes I remember hearing about that also ATI builds it
http://www.atiracing.com/products/trans/transparts/scs30.htm

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 08:43:37 AM »
I seen one at the PRI show that was external mount. He had a display with a seen through converter showing the flow. I will see if I can find the info on it.

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 09:33:21 AM »
Fine for big bracket R/E cars, but Tech would &$@& if they saw that as is in a front engine car. The simplest way and the cheapest way is to get a good pump and suck the fluid from the pan (thru dipstick tube) into a graduated container and replace the extracted amount from the pan. Put flag on steering wheel (so you dont forget) and fill pan with fresh oil before heading to staging, the combination of ambient temp and converter temp will knock the temp down to a raceable/consistent level,  Leaning on the trans brake with high engine RPM is what overheats the oil

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 09:57:37 AM »
Tech would &$@& if they saw that as is in a front engine car.

No different than a guy with a cooler? I personally would not put a cooler in the compartment with me but longer lines could place this out of the driver area.

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 11:26:13 AM »
Thought I was trick with a cooler on my dragster, wound up a pain in the---- and really did not help with the way we ran our car, replaced with a simple loop, no issues, 3 years between rebuilds

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 07:31:12 PM »
Running a cooler is a choice, some believe it helps some believe it makes no difference. I personally have them on both my cars as we often double up driving the cars. Literally driving right back to lanes to make a pass. The same goes for the between round cooling systems. Some believe in them others discount there value. In the end its what works for you.

dreracecar

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 07:56:44 AM »
Exactly

both sides need to be discussed in order to have the information to make valid dessision